123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Well, fun day.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Well, fun day. Reply with quote

So last night at about 1 am I fell asleep in my dorm floor's lounge with my MacBook Pro still on my lap, well there were 3 other people in the lounge and they all left by about 1:30, I woke up at 2:30 and noticed my MBP was gone, I looked around the floor and still couldn't find it and it wasn't in my room, WTF? I ended up calling campus police they sent out an officer and we questioned the last two people out of the lounge so now it looks like a really stupid joke or theft, my parents took out insurance on it for the value of it ($2200) so if it is gone I have all school related files backed up and a fairly recent time machine back up and if the device ever gets on the campus network it is flagged according to the MAC address. If it isn't found in the next day or two it'll be considered gone since it'll take a couple days to have everything inline for filing a claim.

Oh, and then woke up to rain and wet snow falling outside, seemed fitting.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about a bad day. Hopefully you just be the MBP back and don't need to deal with the insurance. At least you had insurance. Hopefully they don't screw you around.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, we didn't have MacBook Pros, iPods or iPads when we were young. We just sucked it up and walked to school in ten inches of snow... Wink

Just kidding of course. I'm sure you're really bummed out.

Have you tried Find My Mac? It's pretty accurate you know.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you can get it back or be compensated for your loss. If you do, the new MacBook Pros are pretty awesome with the quad-core i7 chips.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like I remember a script that I saw several years ago that would erase the hard drive. It worked remotely, too. (If you could log in to your MBP). I can't remember if it had to be installed prior to the theft or not. If I remember correctly it was a very simple shell script. When installed in advance, you had to beat a time limit before it tripped and erased the drive. Operating system and all. I would imagine it was very dangerous to play with. Wished I could remember where I saw it. Not much help, I know. Hope it works out for you.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what ever happened? Inquiring minds want to know. Laughing
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelSpinners wrote:

Well Insurance company somehow said my MBP was worth $2800 so they paid out in full and now I'm typing this from my new quad core i7 MBP, I restored from a time machine backup so I was only missing a handful of files and a couple apps, now just to upgrade the RAM to 8GB and find someone who didn't skyrocket the price of a 3TB external as my old time machine is only 500GB and this has a 750 GB hard drive and I want to do back ups from a server.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
WheelSpinners wrote:

Well Insurance company somehow said my MBP was worth $2800 so they paid out in full and now I'm typing this from my new quad core i7 MBP, I restored from a time machine backup so I was only missing a handful of files and a couple apps, now just to upgrade the RAM to 8GB and find someone who didn't skyrocket the price of a 3TB external as my old time machine is only 500GB and this has a 750 GB hard drive and I want to do back ups from a server.

Generous payout. Ridiculous how this often happens with insurance. Often you get screwed, other times you get more than it is worth. You could get a 17" with 8GB of RAM from Apple for $2699 (without AppleCare).

A 2TB Time Capsules is the way to go if you need a router. The 3TB models are overpriced.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
dungeon92 wrote:
WheelSpinners wrote:

Generous payout. Ridiculous how this often happens with insurance. Often you get screwed, other times you get more than it is worth. You could get a 17" with 8GB of RAM from Apple for $2699 (without AppleCare).

A 2TB Time Capsules is the way to go if you need a router. The 3TB models are overpriced.

It was only insured for $2300 which covers the MBP and Applecare just shy a little for tax after educational discount. Now the hard part is finding a cheap 3TB external for time machine/media storage that isn't $200+ right now.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice settlement. I don't know how they came to that number, but it's unbelievable how Macs hold their value. Like in general.

You can get one of those GoFlex for Mac drives for around that price. They come with FW800 and get pretty good reviews.
caulktel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you all are, but over the weekend I bought a 3TB Western Digital ext hard drive with USB 3 for $109.00 at Costco in Oregon and when checking out found there was a instant $20.00 rebate making it 89.00 bucks. Very Happy
iPhone 4S 16GB
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caulktel wrote:
I don't know where you all are, but over the weekend I bought a 3TB Western Digital ext hard drive with USB 3 for $109.00 at Costco in Oregon and when checking out found there was a instant $20.00 rebate making it 89.00 bucks. Very Happy

Good deal. I was just looking at some Black Friday sites and saw the Seagate GoFlex at Best Buy for $99. It's the model without FireWire 800 though. Costco has the 2TB for $70, which is pretty awesome too.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many stores will still have pre-Thailand flood pricing or they simply forgot to change their price tags to current prices. You just need to check around.
castaway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Many stores will still have pre-Thailand flood pricing or they simply forgot to change their price tags to current prices. You just need to check around.

I was just reading about the looming shortage. If you need one and can find a bargain, now is definitively the time to buy one.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
I was just reading about the looming shortage. If you need one and can find a bargain, now is definitively the time to buy one.

Totally agree, My last HDD for the Drobo was a Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda 7200rpm which cost me 50. I now have a suspect 1TB Seagate in my NAS, its being flagged as having SMART errors with a slowly growing error count. The NAS has 4x1TB drives with drive 3 being flagged as suspect so I was thinking of swapping it out.

When I looked a month or so ago it was around 45 UKP for a 1TB. I waited to buy as I was considering getting 3x2TB drives instead which would increase the capacity of the almost full NAS and would also allow me to later add a further 2TB.

Well it was pay day yesterday for me, so last night I was looking to purchase the 3x2TB drives and was shocked at how costly they have become. The cheapest Seagate 1TB drive is now over 105 and its only a 5900rpm drive. 7200 drives are 125-145. I've given up thinking of 2TB for the moment.
They are also limiting drives to 1 per customer.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: