123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EyeTV stutters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DingBat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: EyeTV stutters Reply with quote

I have a Mac Mini that I have been running as my HTPC with EyeTV for a little while. I am using a eyetv diversity device with both tuners enabled.

The problem I have is that occasionally the program I am watching stutters. Prior to upgrading OS X to Lion the stutter might be a couple of times an evening. Now though it is four times an hour or so. Also the sound goes out of sync with the picture.

Anyone seen this before? Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks for your help
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is a issue in lion latest update sorry to say it happens even with youtube and safari it stutters then the audio is all fouled up
DingBat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: EyeTV stutters Reply with quote

Hmm. May be Lion is part of the issue, but my EyeTV stuttered before upgrading to Lion.

Plex media server always seems to be running for no good reason, so the day before yesterday I switched it off. So far EyeTV has not stuttered.

I'll keep you posted
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there could be three things at play here. Plex, while wildly popular, is a hog when it comes to system resources. I much prefer XBMC these days. The you have Lion. It has a plethora of issues that still needs a fixing. And last but not least, EyeTV is in need of a major update. I don't think they've released an update since Lion was released. They say the EyeTV 3.5.3 update supports Lion, but it seems like something should have been released since then to fix those inevitable bugs that always seem to creep up.
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some stuttering issues with my 2010 mini. Having it write the live recording to ram instead of hard disk made a big improvement.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unblowupable5 wrote:
I had some stuttering issues with my 2010 mini. Having it write the live recording to ram instead of hard disk made a big improvement.

I've had better luck with that as well with an '09 Mac mini.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EyeTV 3.5.4 was released with fixes for Lion. Smile

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1755.html
CMart

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Other stuttering issues w/ EyeTV Reply with quote

Hi all Smile First time poster here; hope you can help suggest a solution to my problem.

I don't have a Mac Mini, but I have a 2007 white macbook, 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM. I have everything hooked up to an internal antenna using the newest version of HDHomerun.

This is my second attempt at getting eyetv to work but I can't seem to work out all the kinks. My problem is that, when I set a program to record, the show stutters, pixelates and freezes, thus making it impossible to record. It works fine when everything is Live, but as soon as I push record, it all goes downhill.

I also notice that, when the first tuner is recording, the second tuner stutters on HD channels (at least; couldn't detect such stuttering on SD channels).

What am I doing wrong? This second attempt is getting me aggravated because I really thought I fixed all the problems I had encountered after my first attempt; but apparently not.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.
CMart

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: P.S. to my last post Reply with quote

I just thought of something that I wanted to add about my set-up that I have a hunch may be important and wanted to get your input on too.

I am using powerline adapters to connect my Mac to my network, since I read in the past that recording eyetv programs wirelessly from my Mac might lead to the sorts of problems I am having now. Anyway,the powerline adapters I am using are 200 Mbps ones; should I actually be using 500 Mbsp ones instead? Might that account for the stuttering?

Strangely enough, I only noticed the stuttering when I had my Mac hooked up to via ethernet via the powerline adapter; when it was wireless and recording, there was no stuttering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: