123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much memory is 'enough'?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:

Mwave has been supplying me with PC hardware for years (along with Krex, newegg, etc). They have always had great pricing on RAM.

Do you know who makes the memory for them?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
Do you know who makes the memory for them?

No, I do not.

On the same subject. I'd be interested in knowing who all has added memory themselves, the size and speed of the RAM added, and the price and source of the RAM.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mini1973

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:

No, I do not.

On the same subject. I'd be interested in knowing who all has added memory themselves, the size and speed of the RAM added, and the price and source of the RAM.

I opened my mini up with no problems. The cracking of the clips did make my heart skip a beat though! I have the 1.42ghz mini and it came with the stadard 256mb of ram. I ordered 1gb from crucial and put it in over the weekend. Crucial memory is a tad expensive but it has never failed me. I paid $219. The mini runs way better now that with 256MB I'm not even sure 512 would cut it.

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=BEB4B190A5CA7304&WSMD=Mac+mini+%28G4+%2D+1%2E42GHz%29&WSPN=CT431640

-Peace

Imagine!
dp351

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting your own RAM in does not void the warranty.

I have a 1.42 Mini with 512 megs and it works well with Final Cut Pro HD, Garage Band 2, SoundTrack, iDVD 05, DVD Studio Pro, Photoshop 7.

I've used Macs form the 8600 to the dual 2 Ghz G5 I use at work and am always blown away by the performance of the Mini. I think it's the best Mac, taking into consideration price and size, that I've ever used.
NAOC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: 256 is KILLING me Reply with quote

I just bought my Mini a week ago and thought I would see how bad it was with 256 megs of ram. I have read all the articles here and on the net saying you need to get at least 512 or a 1 gig but I didnt listen, I had to find out for myself and now its starting to erk the crap out of me it is constantly caching from the hard drive and ungodly slow. Internet browsing is a painful task while muti- tasking. Thanks for putting the link to the 1 gig stick at mwave it will be much appreciated.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: 256 is KILLING me Reply with quote

NAOC wrote:
I just bought my Mini a week ago and thought I would see how bad it was with 256 megs of ram. I have read all the articles here and on the net saying you need to get at least 512 or a 1 gig but I didnt listen, I had to find out for myself and now its starting to erk the crap out of me it is constantly caching from the hard drive and ungodly slow. Internet browsing is a painful task while muti- tasking. Thanks for putting the link to the 1 gig stick at mwave it will be much appreciated.

I have 1GB and itís like night and day compared to having 256/512MB! You need to get at least 1GB because you don't want to have things off-loaded to the slower 4200rpm hard drive.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
idave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PQI 1GB is down to 120 on Newegg! Very Happy
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
PQI 1GB is down to 120 on Newegg! Very Happy

Great price! I wonder if PQI is good?
n2o2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am workin on my mini for some weeks now. Got 512Mb RAM.
I boot & work from a firewire external 200Gb/7200RPM/8MB harddisk and everythings runs very smoothly. Only when working with 6Mpixel images real swapping occurs.
When prices drop I will get an upgrade to 1Gb.
nalenb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded my memory myself. I used 512 pc2700 Kingston memory from newegg. Think I paid about $75 two months ago. Upgrade went smoothly, wasn't as tough as I thought it was going to be. Wish I had put 1 gig in though.
blam_man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 1gig of PQI PC3200 from Newegg for $120. The mini is so much faster, the extra RAM actualy makes it usable.
macona

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blam_man wrote:
I bought 1gig of PQI PC3200 from Newegg for $120. The mini is so much faster, the extra RAM actualy makes it usable.

I picked up a gig stick of Geil ram at frys yesterday for $139. WHat a difference. Seems faster than my 2.4g P4 icebox. I use mplayer and vlc for playing back divx and other media to my home theatre setup. Just need to get an optical out dongle.

While I was at it I OC'd it from 1.25 to 1.42.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macona wrote:

Really? That's quite a bit more work than swapping out the ram. Don't you have to completely remove the motherboard and soldier on the bottom of the board to overclock?? (or maybe I am mistaken)

I've thought about overclocking my 1.42Ghz mini, but figured that it wouldn't really make a noticable difference...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
macona

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
macona wrote:

Really? That's quite a bit more work than swapping out the ram. Don't you have to completely remove the motherboard and soldier on the bottom of the board to overclock?? (or maybe I am mistaken)

I've thought about overclocking my 1.42Ghz mini, but figured that it wouldn't really make a noticable difference...

Yeah, but considering the relative pain it is to open the mini I figured might as well. Remove the three screws that hold on the drives, plus one more diconnect the switch and the led and the MB pops right out. ( I have airport+bt so thats a little more annoying. I have a temp controlled esd safe soldering iron and popped out the two resistors These things are about the size of a grain of salt. Tried it at 1.58 and got the altivec bug so down to 1.42 it went.

But I think the biggest difference in speed came from the RAM. Definitly the bigest bang for your buck. I would be curious to know if anyone has tried a 2 gig module as it sounds like it just may work.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a temp controlled esd safe soldering iron and popped out the two resistors These things are about the size of a grain of salt. Tried it at 1.58 and got the altivec bug so down to 1.42 it went.

Very brave! Those jumpers are so small.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: