123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2x2gb Ram single beep upgrade problem in late 2009 Mac Mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
hey not cool man...

If you look in older mac forums and have been around computers your whole life like i have you would understand mac lingo better people refer to real apple memory as memory purchased from apple stores or from apple online not from other world computing and third party's and did you notice after the memory upgrade his fans where still running at full speed because of the clock difference in the memory hello what have i been saying (quote: watch the clock speed of the ram when purchasing third party ram because certain third party ram causes the over clocking of the fan. end quote)

This happens because the clock speed of the ram is different then the stock ram several ram manufactures do this to speed up laptops where memory is greatly needed.

Apple however doesn't do this to keep the temps down in the mac mini without causing over heating he should on his mac mini notice higher temps when using that memory all though it will work you might have to do the power up trick more then once to get it started.

I do not care whether you think it is cool or not. No matter how long you claim to have been around Apple computers, that is not the way it is done; with Apple. They buy the memory that meets their requirements, from the vendor that gives them the best price per the volume they require. Just as any other business would do. All of the drivel you posted is just that. Nothing but. I had assumed from the content of your other posts, that you were a juvenile; and let you alone because of it. But, in this case; you told a new member on this site something that is an outright falsehood. That is a bad reflection on what is one of the better Macintosh web communities. If that is the best you can do, all I can say is; grow up son. Barring that, don't post about subjects that you haven't any knowledge.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
hey not cool man...

If you look in older mac forums and have been around computers your whole life like i have you would understand mac lingo better people refer to real apple memory as memory purchased from apple stores or from apple online not from other world computing and third party's and did you notice after the memory upgrade his fans where still running at full speed because of the clock difference in the memory hello what have i been saying (quote: watch the clock speed of the ram when purchasing third party ram because certain third party ram causes the over clocking of the fan. end quote)

This happens because the clock speed of the ram is different then the stock ram several ram manufactures do this to speed up laptops where memory is greatly needed.

Apple however doesn't do this to keep the temps down in the mac mini without causing over heating he should on his mac mini notice higher temps when using that memory all though it will work you might have to do the power up trick more then once to get it started.

It sounds like the older mac forums you speak of were potentially rife with passing along disinformation. It is unfortunate that people may hold as gospel the incorrect information within them. ALL RAM IN MACS IS THIRD PARTY, even the RAM that comes with the computer, to make it more painful for you, that same exact RAM is used in many PC's. There is no such thing as special magic Apple RAM.

With all of your history with computers that you speak of, I would be very wary of your diagnosis's.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look guys apple used to sell label ram with apple logos on them. but they were not made by apple they were just a label stuck on
mushkin,
micron,
hynix
or samsung ram. if you look at the label it does read apple on many oem 2006 and 2007 machine not so much 2009 or 10 or 11. as for hdds/ssds look at these two on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Toshiba-512-GB-THNS512GG8BB-SSD-Solid-State-/170703699671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bebbbed7#ht_500wt_1145

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Toshiba-512-GB-THNS512GG8BBAA-Hard-Drive-SSD-Macbook-pro-/160659271844?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256809f0a4#ht_500wt_1379

these are different in more then the label firmware allows trim for the apple one on an apple computer.

this is not the case with ram in any mac mini from 2006 to 2008 that has an apple logo.

this can fool lots of people. but I have done so many ram upgrades i know for fact that in any mac mini the apple logo does not mean anything for ram it is just that a label on a stick of ram that was good and no different then one without the label.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God Phil, now you are really going to confuse people. They will hold it as gospel that Apple makes hard drives now too and that these drives are different than HD's/SSD's that are in other PC's. DON'T INSTALL IBM DRIVES IN YOUR MAC, the clock speed is different and your fans will go crazy.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah (LOL) and I am trying to not confuse them.

In mac minis from 2007 any sata 2.5 inch will work

(of course make sure they are 9.5 mm tall)

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
macmanmacman wrote:
hey not cool man...

It sounds like the older mac forums you speak of were potentially rife with passing along disinformation. It is unfortunate that people may hold as gospel the incorrect information within them. ALL RAM IN MACS IS THIRD PARTY, even the RAM that comes with the computer, to make it more painful for you, that same exact RAM is used in many PC's. There is no such thing as special magic Apple RAM.

With all of your history with computers that you speak of, I would be very wary of your diagnosis's.

Don't waste your time on him, EZ. Look at his previous posts. If I were to be kind, the majority of his posts were disinformation to say the least. I chose not to be kind. He told a new member, something that was completely untrue; and, the guy caught him at it. I wanted the OP to know that this is a quality web site, run by guys that are actually quite professional. I came here in 2006 seeking information, and; I got what I needed. In my time here, I have tried to return the favor. Macmanmacman does not represent those of us that are here to help. He apparently makes a good portion of his posts up and that is why I assumed him to be an adolescent. I'll bet I am not too far from wrong.
IceBlueShoes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
Did you update your EFI firmware to 1.2? Your machine can handle up to 8GB of RAM if updated.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL888

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_Mac_mini/DDR3

EDIT: sorry, the EFI update mentioned above looks to only pertain to the early 2009 2.26 such as mine...but yours should still support 4 - 8 GB.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought the "official" number was 4GB being an OSX restriction vs. a Mobo/hardware restriction?
I've wondered if the same would apply in windows via bootcamp?

In any case I'm running my late 2009 Mini with 5GB of ram. I have the original 1GB and then slotted in an extra stick of 4GB.

Rev.B-Macbook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
1GB RAM. 60GB HD + 250GB External HD

2nd Gen 8GB iPod Touch + OS 3.1
1st Gen 4GB iPod Mini (blue)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: