123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVI to HDMI cable knocks out wifi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantwalls

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: DVI to HDMI cable knocks out wifi Reply with quote

Hi there,

After months of frustration and two trips to the local mac store I realised it is the 3metre DVI to HDMI cable to the TV that interferes with the wifi signal from the computer and stops it connecting to the internet.

Has anyone had this problem and been able to fix it?

Or it it possible to use a DVI to RCA connection?

Cheers,

Grant

Computer details
1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo
1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
MacOS 10.6.8
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just a cheap and/or bad cable with faulty shielding. Have you tried a better HDMI cable with three or four layer shielding? I use one of the thicker triple-shielded ones from Monoprice. I have absolutely no issues with interference.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
grantwalls

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Funny there was an ad below for cheap HDMI cables and yes mine is cheap. I'm getting a new monitor today that has an HDMI slot so I will test your theory. How much did you pay for yours? It is a DVI to HDMI cable?

Thanks,

Grant
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could also be another issue with your (2009 based on your signature) Mac mini, but this might be pushing it. There is a little band of shielding tape that goes around the top of the case. I believe on all for sides. You should check to see if yours is missing or has been ripped away. I don't think that would cause issues with wireless, but you never know. It might just be the cable like Grasshopper suggested.
grantwalls

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. I got a DVI - VGA adapter with something else I bought. I tried hooking the mac mini using this and it seems to have worked.

So I'm currently getting wifi connection with the mac mini hooked up to the TV via DVI-VGA. Solution found.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: