123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ynot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Sound Problems Reply with quote

I have a 42" Philips LCD TV, a 2011 Mac MIni, a Scientific Atlanta DVR and Bose speakers that have 2 sets of RCA outputs (red and white) and a headphone jack.

In the past to get the sound from any Mini through these speakers I've had to use the headphone jack because of one problem or another. I'd like to fix this if it isn't normal. Is using the headphone jack the norm?

This is what I tried to fix this. I have the Mini connected to the TV via HDMI. I get a sound effect from the Mini, yet no sound from VLC, QT or Plex. Under the "Sound" pref's ("Sound Effects") I have it selected to Philips. In "Output" if I choose "Philips" I get "The selected device has no output controls". Why do I get sound in one (Sound Effects) but not in the other (Output)? Does HDMI only except a quick burst of sound, but not streaming so-to-speak?

Here's a link to this TV if it helps to see the connections:
http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl3603d_27/42pfl3603d_27_dfu_aen.pdf

Thanks for any help.

"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"

Steve Jobs

2012 Mac Mini i5 HTPC
Roku 1 XDS, Roku 2 XS, Roku 3
JMC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here- seems your not alone....

CLICK THE LINK!

Hope this helps?

JC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: