123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MBA vs Macbook Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DellApple

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: MBA vs Macbook Pro Reply with quote

Hello,

I am in the market for a new Mac Laptop and I am trying to decided whether to go for the 11.6" MBA or 13" MB Pro and was wondering if anyone has any opinions on which is a better choice? I like the Pro because it comes with a superdrive and if I picked up the MBA I would have to purchase an external drive.

What I plan to use it for is Microsoft Office Applications and checking email. Nothing else. I am in the process of getting my MBA and had a Macbook but I had to sell it off to pay my tuition bill. Now I have some extra money and want my mac back.

Thanks
Pat
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air is pretty sweet, doubt you need the DVD all that often and the weight savings of the air would push it to the top on my list. Do you plan on running Office Mac or Windows?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your situation I would go with the Air. 100%... without a doubt.

You can install M$ Office with drive sharing. No need to buy a Superdrive.

It takes about 12 seconds for an Air to boot, vs. 45 for a MBP. It weighs half as much. It is quieter, solid state etc.

In this scenario the MBA is also less money.

The MBP is due for an update (especially the 13" model). That being said the MBA is already there.

It sounds like you like the size of the 11" over the 13" so that makes the air an even more attractive option. Don't overlook the 13" model though. The 13" has better battery life and has a higher screen resolution (1440 X 900). This might come in handy for spreadsheets etc. BTW the 13" MBP has a (1280 X 800) screen resolution. The 11" Air has a (1366X756) resolution. 13" Air has a 7 hr battery life so does the MBP. The 11" air falls a little short here at 5hrs.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
You can install M$ Office with drive sharing. No need to buy a Superdrive.

Might be an issue as its his only Mac.

but I'd go for the air as well. I rarely use the superdrive nowadays and have a cheap external USB/Firewire external for whenever I do need to.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
DellApple

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

What appeals to be about the MBA is that its small enough where I can hook it up to my 23" monitor and not have it taking too much space.

I plan on using Microsoft office as I have an educational copy I bought a few months ago but never used.

The size, 11" is also appealing to me in that I can easily take it with me to class. Last semester I was taking a 14" Dell and it was a paid to load around in the bag.

One other question, If I get the 11" MBA, I would only get the 64gb one. After loading office, and having OS 10 on it, would that still give me a lot of space for saving my school work?

I'm not into downloading videos, pictures or games. The most I might do is load a few pictures when I sell on ebay.

Thanks ALL!

Pat
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DellApple wrote:

One other question, If I get the 11" MBA, I would only get the 64gb one. After loading office, and having OS 10 on it, would that still give me a lot of space for saving my school work?

I'm not into downloading videos, pictures or games. The most I might do is load a few pictures when I sell on ebay

My main system is fully loaded with media etc so its hard to say what you need for a basic Lion installation. On my iMac which hardly has any media on it, just a Snow Leopard Install and several apps. No iTunes, Photos, Movies etc it only using 17GB so I think you should be fine. USB HDD are fairly cheap anyway if you need extra storage and would be handy for backups etc.

My only concern would be the 11" screen. When I was University I decided on the 15" Macbook Pro mainly because I wanted the larger screen. I have used a 13" Macbook and the squat screen drove me mad, but at least you do have a larger monitor to hook it up to.

Battery life may be another consideration if your in lectures all day. I think the 11" Air is only up to 5hrs where as the 13" Air and MBP are both up to 7 hours.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
DellApple

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only taking one course a semester. So it would be used in class for like 3 hours a week and then on the weekend for doing homework for which i can hook it up to a larger monitor.

Yeah I am with you on the small screen; it does get maddening at times. At work, I have two 12" screens at my desk and that annoys me at times. As I said, I have a 23" screen at home and I love it.

P.S. No way would I carry a 21" laptop around. (I think that is biggest they make) LOL
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lion with Office installed would be <15GB. You'd have lots of space on an entry level 64GB model for school work.

You can also get 128GB thumb drives nowadays.

BTW I know it's not likely in your budget but the new Thunderbolt displays are incredible. Adding one of these to a MBA gives amazing possibilities at home/office (FW800, 3 USB 2.0 ports, ethernet and another thunderbolt port for drives etc.) The bonus is you can charge your MBA at the same time.
richardtj

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MBP gives access to replace failed batteries and the HDD is easily repalced (with an SSD). Memory access is easier as well.
albert2k

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the MBA with 250GB HD and is amazing. Super speed to start and to open documents and files.
Macbook Air - 1.8GHz - Intel Core i5
4GB Memory - 250 GB Hard Disk
OS X Mountain Lion
iPad 2 - iPhone 4
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, albert2k! I have same, but the 2011 model. Traded up from a 2009 MBP and I couldn't be happier.
albert2k

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Congratulations, albert2k! I have same, but the 2011 model. Traded up from a 2009 MBP and I couldn't be happier.

es, this is a replacement of my 2011 MBP, but this is faster that that and I have all that I need, this is really an amazing.
Macbook Air - 1.8GHz - Intel Core i5
4GB Memory - 250 GB Hard Disk
OS X Mountain Lion
iPad 2 - iPhone 4
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually own both i love the mac book air way more more reliable way fast thanks to ssd tech really a nice machine and because most software is downloadable from the app store really are you going to miss not having a cd drive i don't
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a 1st generation MBA (11.6") and was extremely frustrated with it. I felt that the performance sacrifices (which are less so with the current versions) were not worth it to me considering the lack of amazing battery life.

With a netbook, there should be added value for the tradeoffs in performance, screen real estate, etc. You have to really value the portability (and price tag, I suppose).

I have been MacBook-less for a while now (own a Mac mini and my wife has my old MacBook CE). I am currently looking to purchase a new MBP and have fallen in love with the retina displays. Back in 2002-2003, I had a 14" Dell laptop with a 1920x1200 display that I absolutely LOVED. It has disgusted me for years that I couldn't get anything close to that pixel density on a Mac. Well, now the tables have turned. Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: