123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lion 'forces' restart by slowing down?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Lion 'forces' restart by slowing down? Reply with quote

I'll admit, I'm lazy. I don't usually shut down or restart my machines unless I have to - usually when a software update requires me to. I also tend to have several/many apps open at the same time. I used to be able to go weeks or even months without restarting. (Yes, I do realize this isn't the best practice, but its what has proven to me to work in the past). Since installing Lion, I've noticed that my machines will gradually slow down over the course of a week or two until I can't stand it anymore and have to restart. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with having more apps open over time. Has anyone else noticed this...or am I the only one that actually restarts that infrequently???
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly:

I am not happy with the latest lion update applications crash several issues and what sucks i beta tested this garbage and they didn't listen to us at all
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I'm about done with this, going back to Snow Leopard. All Lion does is change things I didn't want changed, slow my machines down, and give me poor battery life on my laptops. Definitely disappointing for Apple. Thought I'd wait around for it to improve but that hasn't happened yet, and apparently 10.7.3 isn't much of an improvement either.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same and very close to giving up on Lion. Annoyingly Apple have been pretty clever with the switch over to iCloud which has meant that .Mac / Mobile Me users have burnt that particular bridge which would be needed for the full return to Snow Leopard. This is the only thing keeping me on Lion at the moment. I need iCloud to sync my devices. My iMac is high and dry at the moment no longer being synced as I've left that on Snow Leopard and having all my Apple devices no longer being synced would make it a real pain in the backside.

Having my iMac still on snow Leopard though has shown me how slow Lion is, its running on a faster machine but is so much slower than the iMac and I have a lot more niggles with the Lion machine, beach balls, unresponsive apps, jittery video when minimising maximising apps etc.

Does anyone know of a good Bookmark / Calendar / contact sync application that works similar to how MobileMe did ?

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Cypher, its sad. This is definitely not what we've come to expect from Apple. Sure, I realize there will be some annoyances with any new OS release. But in the past, Apple has been good at addressing them. Especially with my MacBook, Lion has taken it from a speedy, capable machine that can handle anything I throw at it, to a slow one with poor battery life that wants to throw beach balls around almost anytime I want to do anything new.

Granted its not a new machine, but it has seriously been downgraded with this 'upgrade'. It was especially bad a couple of nights ago when I was doing a presentation in class and PowerPoint kept throwing up beach balls and lagging every time I needed to change a slide. I'm just glad to know its not limited to anything I'm doing because there is a plethora of similar complaints and threads on Apple's site.

Don't know if this is Apple's way of trying to get people to upgrade to new machines, but I've played with Lion on newer MBPs that came with it preinstalled and its super smooth.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
Don't know if this is Apple's way of trying to get people to upgrade to new machines, but I've played with Lion on newer MBPs that came with it preinstalled and its super smooth.

Given the lack of enthusiasm from Apple to resolve my iMac issues I'm in no rush what so ever to upgrade any of my Apple hardware, especially when I can get a speedy, responsive Mac much cheaper by just reinstalling Snow Leopard Razz

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect Lion and ICloud are still in their infancy. I'd like to say that they were not forced upon us, but it has been. You can't order new hardware with SL nor can you continue using MobileMe.
Lion has been a bit of a slap in the face as it puts many people in a catch 22 situation.

I think Apple would have been better off rolling out iCloud with SL support along with further development. iCloud should still be beta and optional. MobileMe should still be available until iCloud is mature.

One thing that is certin is Apple will work things out. The rollout has certainly been rough, but we will get there. I must say though, in general most people purchasing new hardware/software and were never MobileMe users are without complaint.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting patiently Bandit, but as a paying Mobile Me customer I'm annoyed at not having a way back to Mobile Me.

As for Apple getting there in the end. I'm not so sure. My iMac issues started at 10.6.3. We proved it was a driver issue by patching back in the 10.6.2 ATI drivers, but this only worked up to 10.6.6. I waited through 10.6.4-10.6.8 and still no fix, and now 10.7.0 to 10.7.2 Evil or Very Mad Sorry thats just p*** poor support in my book.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what your issue was. Was it something that effected a great number of people or is it somewhat isolated? There will always be cases of bugs. If there were not we'd never see change, progress, options or customizability. Sometimes you just have to work with what works best. Sometimes we need multiple ,machines or multiple OSs. This is why I remain open to Windows etc. it not my choice, but sometimes it's the only choice.

Oh well hopefully things work themselves out and overall most people are happy.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes lots of people had the same problem. Random video freezing after the 10.6.3 forcing a hard reset every time. This was over 2 years ago now and still no fix.

The driver issue became know as a possible fix as when the computer froze music, audio and even downloads were still continuing underneath the frozen display. Repatching in the 10.6.2 ATI kext files fixed the problem, until 10.6.7 when, for me, patching back in the old drivers just caused kernel panics (same on later builds including lion). So my iMac is now stuck on 10.6.6 with 10.6.2 ATI drivers keeping it stable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: