123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is apple doing no support at all?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gibmini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Is apple doing no support at all? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just done the updates for my ATV2 and noticed that there are no updates for my ATV1. Does this mean that Apple are no longer doing updates of any kind for the ATV1?

Cheers,

GM

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
160Gb 1st gen ATV & 2nd gen ATV
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was the last update for the ATV1?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They tend to stop updating the older lines, my iPod nano G4 and iPod shuffle G3 haven't had updates since they stopped being produced, the past line may get updates that are vital, but usually not.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i am sorry to say apple has said that they support just updating the apple tv 2 right now because the one was being used for illegal means.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a shame they just (in 2009 or 2010) went and dropped support for the original Apple TV. It seems like the machine was more than capable for features like AirPlay and the added content channels. Plus, they dropped the price so much on the new model. My 40GB model basically became worthless overnight. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. I'll probably never buy one again. Especially with the $50 Roku box now supporting HBOGO.
gibmini

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, thats a real shame. I love my ATV1 much more than my ATV2. Its just a better device, pure and simple.

Oh well, I'll enjoy the little fella while he lasts and then have to find another solution when the deathnell sounds....

GM

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
160Gb 1st gen ATV & 2nd gen ATV
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an ATV1 just after the ATV2 came out, figured they wouldn't do any updates to it which is pretty lame but they always treated the ATV1 like a hobby machine. Our ATV1 is great for our bedroom and we take it in our RV since it has its own HD I can just load it up with movies and head out.
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ATV1 is better with storage, but it lacks Airplay. I wish you could have the best of those two worlds in one ATV box. Until then, I'm thinking a Ruko box is better for just streaming content. The inclusion of apps is probably the only thing that would bring me back to considering an ATV at this point.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish someone could just hack the atv1 to do more including airplay but because the atv1 contains a intel processor and the apple tv2 contains a apple produced processor you are pretty outta luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: