123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

if I update to iCloud do I lose Mobile me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iCloud
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: if I update to iCloud do I lose Mobile me? Reply with quote

The issue for me is that I have a Mobile Me account that I use for Syncing calendars and contacts. I Sync between four Macs, one of which runs Lion and three which run Snow Leopard. One of these four is a family computer that I had been hoping to keep on SL for awhile so as not to confuse my spouse. Now that I have upgraded the Lion computer (2011 mini), I am asked if I want to sign on to iCloud, and I'm concerned that if I do, my Mobile Me account will be closed and my ability to Sync will be lost. Someone enlighten me please.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. I use Mobile Me to sync my three Macs and my iPad. I've upgraded my Mac Mini and MBP to Lion but when I put Lion on my iMac it suffers from random crashes so I've rolled it back to Snow Leopard.

When I click on iCloud on my Mac Mini I see this

but converting my Mobile Me data to iCloud sounds like a one way street which would leave my iMac high and dry Sad

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you lose anything until they shut off MobileMe Gallery, iDisk and iWeb next summer. Everything just gets changed over to iCloud services and you keep your name. Am I wrong?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if everything gets changed over to iCloud services and I can't use those services on some of my Macs, that would be a problem. If both remain operational, I'm OK to sign up for iCloud.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you don't lose mobile me your me features still work except for gallery nd web pages after june 2012
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is if we click the button to move our data to iCloud and this does cause mobile me to stop, then the Snow Leopard computers are left out of sync.

Once clicked to move to iCloud it sounds like there is no going back to Mobile Me Sad

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
no you don't lose mobile me your me features still work except for gallery nd web pages after june 2012

Yes I realise Mobile Me will continue to work until 2012, but is the Move to iCloud button, effectively me telling Apple its ok I'm done with Mobile Me now Confused

macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no far from it all mobile me features still work even when you move from mobile me to i cloud and your not left out check out the post in a few minutes on how to access features in snow leopard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iCloud All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: