123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steve Jobs Has Passed Away
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
Yeah, thanks for sharing the pics. I assume you took them, right?

The poster from their neighbor in the last picture is really touching. It must have been a real emotional scene out there.

Yea I took them. I'm about 30 minutes away from there - kind of close to you blazer. I was just about to leave and this lady walks up the street with that poster and placed it on the fence. I read it and totally had to take a picture of it. Great timing too, it was between rain storms. I'm sure the rain destroyed it by now.

g5g5 wrote:
The grounds and fence going around his house look really pretty. Oh well, I'm still bummed out about his passing. I wonder if there is going to be a memorial service soon?

The family home and grounds are beautiful - at least from the outside. All those trees in front are different kinds of apple trees with beautiful HUGE apples on them. There is a beautiful large garden in the back of the house, which used to be a separate lot with a house on it that he had demolished.

Heres a few more pics, but my focus yesterday was on the memorial, not the house or grounds. The yellow flower in the green pot sitting on the fence above his picture was apparently brought out of the house by Steve's wife.

Here is also a good read about Steve, not the CEO, but the neighbor and father:
http://paloalto.patch.com/articles/my-neighbor-steve-jobs#comments
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD

Last edited by CaliforniaMini on Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next day someone was trying to find people to support painting a mural in one of the tunnels on campus using the picture from Apple's main page.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This made me laugh and get chocked up at the end.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/399182/october-06-2011/tribute-to-steve-jobs
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
NRecob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasshopper wrote:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/399182/october-06-2011/tribute-to-steve-jobs
Thanks for the link. I got a good laugh myself but just when he started LICKING at the iPad I blew Diet Coke all over my monitor [I had just taken a drink]! Mr. Green

--

I read the WSJ was reporting there would be a small private Funeral Friday--[time and location undisclosed] so apparently it's already happened....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/report-steve-jobs-funeral-to-be-held-friday-in-private-ceremony/2011/10/07/gIQAlwwcTL_story.html
NRecob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:

Here is also a good read about Steve, not the CEO, but the neighbor and father:
http://paloalto.patch.com/articles/my-neighbor-steve-jobs#comments
Thank you for the photos but esp. for the link to the article about Steve as a neighbor, Father, Husband--it was definitely something for Evernote. Thanks again.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasshopper wrote:

One of the few times Daily Show or Colbert Report ever went to break in silence.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Steve Jobs. The one and only Apple product I have ever purchased, the 2005 Mini has taken some lickings and keeps on ticking...
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
The family home and grounds are beautiful - at least from the outside. All those trees in front are different kinds of apple trees with beautiful HUGE apples on them. There is a beautiful large garden in the back of the house, which used to be a separate lot with a house on it that he had demolished.

Wow, that's really cool about the apples. I read something about that house being demolished. He was in a fight with the city or something. Are all of the houses in that area older large homes? I have to admit, the home he lived in looks rather modest for such a wealthy man.
iLife's a Bitch!

Last edited by g5g5 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I read something about that house being demolished. He was in a fight with the city or something

I think you are thinking of the home he owned in Woodside, a few miles away from the Palo Alto home.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
g5g5 wrote:
I read something about that house being demolished. He was in a fight with the city or something

I think you are thinking of the home he owned in Woodside, a few miles away from the Palo Alto home.

Thanks for the correction and link. I wonder what will happen with that property now since there was such a stink.
iLife's a Bitch!
Macpowered

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P., Steve. You always thought differently.

Last edited by Macpowered on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was a nice tribute and keepsake to have.

http://themacfeed.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/RememberingSteveJobs.pdf
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
ez061111 wrote:
g5g5 wrote:

Thanks for the correction and link. I wonder what will happen with that property now since there was such a stink.

You're right, it was that home demolition earlier this year and the years of legal battles that made all the news. That was something Steve and/or his lawyers were fighting for years. Sadly, it was just demolished earlier this year and he obviously never got the opportunity to build the home he wanted there.
But the one he had demolished years earlier in Palo Alto was on the adjoining lot of the one he lived in. Apparently it was a historic home built in the 1920's or 30's and he couldn't just tear it down, because of its historical value. His lawyers found a way around that by first annexing the two lots into one. This one lot now had two homes of historical significance on it, but the law says there only needs to be one per lot. So he was therefore granted the demolition permit. Theres more to it than that, but thats the jist of it.

This immediate area is mainly large older homes on large lots. You're right, it is fairly modest for what he could have had. But from what I understand from people who knew him, thats just how he lived - except possibly for his car. His home was very modestly furnished with just some basic furniture and Ansel Adams artwork.

Here is a pic from Google of his property from space. The home is in the front at the corner lot and the garden in the rear is where the other home was that was torn down.

Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting that PDF link WheelSpinners. I was surprised to see the comments from Samsung and Leveno. Also, thank you CaliforniaMini for posting those pics.

Mr Jobs passing was announced as I was driving down to California for my high school reunion. Since I was out of range for pretty much every radio station, I was listening to my iPod. Back then the only choice for school computer labs were Apple ][s. When a Mac was put in the lab, I was the guinea pig, and had to listen to The Introduction To The Macintosh cassette. You were supposed to follow along to the instructions on the cassette, but after a few minutes I was just enjoying the Macintosh experience. When I was in college, I remember getting to see a NeXT brochure a friend picked up at a computer fair. You could unfold the brochure into a 'cube' the size of a NeXT cube(which still remains as my baseline for defining a 'cube' case! ).

When I made it to my mothers place just south of Oregon, Mr Jobs passing was all over the news, and since I chose to not believe the rumors about his health when he stepped down, I was some what surprised.

My condolences go out to his family and friends.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Smithcraft. I thought it was pretty neat with all of the comments put together like that in one place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: