123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DataTale raid enclosures review by MyMac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: DataTale raid enclosures review by MyMac Reply with quote

I have seen these enclosures discussed sparingly, but I have not seen a review by an American site. Here is a good review by MyMac.

http://www.mymac.com/2011/09/datatale-pair-and-smart-2-bay-raid-drive-enclosures-nemo-memo/#more-12797

I think it is nice that the company provides free Mac specific raid software for their products. Also, the design is nice as it would fit in quite well in a Mac Mini work space.

BTW, it is difficult to tell from the pic, but this unit does come with a top cover.

This one will power off of the firewire bus.

asmack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the RS-M2QO 2-Bay model (the one with DIP switches which doesn't require software to configure). Works great. I only have two quibbles with the unit: (1) it doesn't go to sleep in JBOD mode and (2) the lights on the front of the unit are not labeled.

In RAID 0 and RAID 1 the unit has no sleep issues whatsoever and performs flawlessly.

The unit has a fan which is audible if you have it on your desk. It's not objectionable at all but it's definitely not as quiet as the Mac mini itself. As for design, it is very clean and sleek and matches well with the Mac mini, especially the ones from 2005-2009 (because of the white lid and trim).

The SmartGuider system is neat in that you don't have to touch the drives themselves while inserting and removing them from the RAID unit. You can buy extra SmartGuiders and also soft sleeves to carry the drives around when taking them offsite.

The cooling system is great. When I yanked a drive out from the DataTale after 30 minutes of intense use, it was cool to the touch. That same drive got very hot after similar use in my NewerTech Voyager Q.

The newer "smart" version of the DataTale 2-Bay RAID unit should be very similar, with the main difference being that you need to install their RAID Master software to configure the different RAID settings.

For me, I prefer the simplicity of DIP switches. The RAID Master software makes more sense in the 4-Bay model, where simple flip-switches are insufficient for the more advanced RAID settings.
Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think their products look really slick. I hope they come out with a thunderbolt line soon.
asmack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pics of my two Datatale RS-M2QO's. I've since switched them from JBOD mode to RAID 1 mode. Beside them are a OWC Mercury Pro 12x Blu-ray Pioneer BDR-206 External and two Wiebetech RTX100H-Q trayless hard drive enclosures.

The RTX100H-Q's keep my hard drives much cooler and physically protect them much better compared to the NewerTech Voyager Q's which I used to have. But the RTX100H-Q's are also way noisier than the Voyager Q's due to the loud fan. Good thing I only have them on when I am backing up or making a clone for offsite storage.
Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: