123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iPhone 4S
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Apple Unveils iPhone 4S Reply with quote

Apple Unveils iPhone 4S
Tuesday, October 4, 2011
Posted by: Kenan

Apple today announced the release of the new iPhone 4S. New features for the phone include Apple's dual-core A5 chip for blazing fast performance and stunning graphics, an all new 8 megapixel camera with advanced optics for snapping pictures, full 1080p HD resolution video recording, and a new intelligent voice recognition-based assistant called Siri that helps you get things done by asking. The new iPhone 4S also comes loaded with iOS 5, which includes over 200 new features and iCloud.

"iPhone 4S plus iOS 5 plus iCloud is a breakthrough combination that makes the iPhone 4S the best iPhone ever," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "While our competitors try to imitate iPhone with a checklist of features, only iPhone can deliver these breakthrough innovations that work seamlessly together."

The new Phone 4S comes in either black or white and will be available in the US for a suggested retail price of $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB model and $399 for the new 64GB model. iPhone 4S will be available from the Apple Online Store, Apple's retail stores and through AT&T, Sprint, Verizon Wireless and select Apple Authorized Resellers. iPhone 4S will be available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the UK on Friday, October 14th and customers can pre-order their iPhone 4S beginning Friday, October 7th.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1719.html
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a better phone, but I just don't feel blown away. I'm really looking forward to iOS 5 though.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been with Sprint for many years, mainly because I'm on a highly discounted pricing plan, but I am also satisfied with their service. When the iPhone hype started when if first came out, I said yes I would like one, but there is nothing that it offers that is worth it to me to switch carriers (AT&T at the time) and pay significantly more monthly. I think when I did the numbers back then, I would have been paying about an additional $1,200 annually for the privilege of being able to use an iPhone on AT&T's network.

Now that the iPhone is coming to Sprint, its just not that exciting anymore. Other OS's, namely Android, have made significant improvements and the hardware has come a long way that just doesn't make the iPhone that exciting. But, with all that said, I am still seriously considering getting one, if only for the reason of being able to more easily sync it to my Macs.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind having the 4S on Sprint though. Their plans are more attractive and they seem to be a little more customer orientated. AT&T and Verizon have just got out of hand with pricing. Even though they probably have the better networks.

I also agree that the hardware isn't very exciting. There are some really nice Android phones out there at the moment. That really do everything the iPhone does. Including the voice recognition stuff. In fact, it also ties into music services like Rhapsody and Spotify with the voice recognition. It's pretty cool and works across most if not all phones. I'm not sure if that can be said about the iPhone.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really impressed with the new camera package and Siri voice assistant. Not enough to upgrade from my iPhone 4, but still very impressed and envious of those getting one. As well as having the better antenna system, which is my biggest complaint about the iPhone 4.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY I can upgrade form my 3GS now! Also my mom can stop asking when the next iPhone will come out Rolling Eyes .

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
epic_ed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is the Sprint version actually going to be available? It just says coming soon on Apple's site. Confused
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the hype and the rumors of an iPhone 5 I felt let down. The 4S is cool an all but I'm not sure its enough to push me to upgrade from my 3GS right now. One thing I prefer about my 3GS is the shape, I like the smooth rounded corners since I carry it in my shirt or pants pocket a great deal of the time.

If I wasn't grandfathered in to the AT&T unlimited plan I'd be strongly considering ditching the iPhone and getting a 3G iPad with data plan, but I'll wait to see what the next iPad offers before deciding.

Most of all I felt like it was just underwhelming, while I expect Apple to wow the crowd with amazing features and products. For Tim Cook I felt this was not what a new CEO needed to show the world, Apple users and investors that he has the Chutzpah to lead Apple.

Rumors are still running that the 4S was the result of problems with the 5, which if it's true isn't a good thing either, but who knows.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epic_ed wrote:
When is the Sprint version actually going to be available? It just says coming soon on Apple's site. Confused

All I've read is that all three will be available on the 14th, including Sprint.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
All I've read is that all three will be available on the 14th, including Sprint.

Okay, sounds good. The "coming soon" part threw me off. I mean, it seems like they would have their sh*t together as bad as Sprint wanted the iPhone. I think that's who I'm going to go with though. I had the 3G iPhone with AT&T and hated them. Verizon, while having the best coverage, is just so expensive on the data side. Maybe I'm wrong though. Guess I need to look at all the plans laid out.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are being a little hard on the new iPhone. It looks like a nice evolution from the iPhone 4 in my eyes. Which also happens to be only $99 smackers now. That seems like such a good deal if you're on a tight budget. And who really isn't on one of those these days? Then you have the 3GS for free. I mean, come on! This is a very strong lineup of phones if you ask me.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Devo, with the free 3GS it does allow them to compete with the cheap droids and other unsmart phones.

Wife came up and asked if it was time for a new phone for her, we'll see.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
Wife came up and asked if it was time for a new phone for her, we'll see.

I would take the hand-me-down route Y-Guy. Tell your wife that she can have your current phone and you can "test and work the bugs" out of the new one. That probably wouldn't fly over with my wife, but it might be worth a try. Wink

I agree with you on competing with those cheap Android phones. Some of them are actually nice, but most people would probably like to have some sort of iPhone in their pocket instead. Then they fall in love with the iPhone and move up the latter.

Sometimes I just think Apple fans have become so snobby. They only care about the latest and greatest and forget about putting the iPhone in more people's hand. Then they complain about not getting the iPhone 5, when Apple gives them more specs and features for the money. I mean, how much can you really do with a phone anyways? Thinner certainly isn't an option when you care about battery life. Neither really is screen size. So what are you really left with? Cosmetics.

Personally, I would rather have it where is counts: in the software, processor, screen quality, camera (for video and stills) and in the speakers and overall sound quality. Can anyone really say that the iPhone 4S doesn't excel in those categories? Or say that the iPhone 4S is lagging behind the best Andriod phones? I don't think so.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the iPhone 4S looks awesome.

I'm glad it is the same design as the 4. With the newer camera, I wonder if the cases for the 4 sill still fit. I'm not sure if the actual size of the lens changed.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Devo. Apple could have easily have taken a phone with the exact same specs as the 4S, changed the looks of the case slightly, called it the iPhone 5 and people would have been all over it. Between the hardware upgrades and the os upgrades, the 4S is looking like a very nice upgrade. I'm not even due for a phone upgrade, but I'm seriously considering getting one.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: