123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Spreadsheet" App users?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: "Spreadsheet" App users? Reply with quote

Do you use the "Spreadsheet" app? I've used it since it came out and have various worksheets for budget, investments, etc. I use it on my gen-1 iPod touch, and have exported the ".xls" files wirelessly to my Mac. It's very easy to use, but if there were an iPad version I'd buy an iPad. One thing the Spreadsheet "help" glosses over is importing a file from the Mac to the iPod. I can't figure out how to do this, and it would be immensely useful to be able to do so. Have you mastered this mystery? Let me know, please.

Thanks! Jack.

Mac Mini C2D 4 Gigs, 500 Gig WD internal, Lacie 1TB external. iPod touch, iPhone 3GS, Newton 110. Two Mac Mini's - C2D 2 Gigs, 320 Gig WD internal.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about a third party spreadsheet app or Apples Numbers app?

One thing I've done before with data I wanted to have with me on my iPod Touch was to print it to a PDF and then send the PDF to iBooks. It might be worth a try if you only need to view the data.

As its an iPod touch you have, get a dropbox account if you haven't already as it can also view PDFs XLS DOC files etc from within dropbox. Just log in to dropbox via the dropbox app. Type in your password and then browse to the folder select the file and a preview should be shown. I've only done this on the iPad version so not sure if it works with the smaller iPod Touch screen. I haven't had an iPod Touch for a year now so I can't test it but previously Goodreader + Dropbox was the way I did it on the iPod Touch. With good reader you could save a copy of the file locally so even if you had no wifi coverage you can still view the file.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: "SPREADSHEET" APP - HELP! Reply with quote

Sorry if I wasn't clear. "Spreadsheet" is in fact, the name of an Excel compatible app that runs on iOS devices. I have been successful in exporting ".xls" files from my iPod to my Mac Mini via the WiFi connection. I have no issue there. What I want to do is to upload a file from my Mac Mini (I use Office 2011) to my iPod via WiFi. What I am looking for is someone who has used this App and done just that, and hopefully they can advise me how they did it, as the available documentation from is sorely lacking. Thanks anyway. Someday someone will make an app that will allow me to move these files seamlessly between my iPod Touch and my iPhone. Heck, I'd be happy if I could just synch wirelessly, as I could 11 years ago with my Palm E2!

Mac Mini C2D 4 Gigs, 500 Gig WD internal, Lacie 1TB external. iPod touch, iPhone 3GS, Newton 110. Two Mac Mini's - C2D 2 Gigs, 320 Gig WD internal.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropbox will allow you to save the file on your Mac Mini and have it available via dropbox on the iPod Touch.

From there using the Dropbox App on the Touch you should be able to find the file and select which app you want it to open with.

I've just logged into Dropbox on my iPad and navigated to an excel spreadsheet which I have stored in dropbox. Once highlighted I can click on the Open In icon and a list of supported apps show up. For me this is DevonThink, Goodreader and Evernote but you should also see your Spreadsheet app.

Dropbox is a free app and you can set up a free Dropbox account giving you 2GB of storage to play with.

If you don't already have dropbox and use a referral code to set it up you'll also get an extra 250MB of free space. Giving 2.25GB to start you off.
Here's mine if you want to use a referral code

Most iPhone apps are really well integrated with Dropbox these days. Apple owe Dropbox a huge debt for showing what the iOS can really do when it all nits together properly.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
albert2k

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time that I want to share a document (.doc, .xls) a file, a program or a software, picture, etc, from one machine to another, I just sent it to my Google e-mail and then I can open and save in any of my other machine, like the Ipad, iphone, mac mini or my job PC. I have already 7 GB+ of space in my Google account, and also, I use it to archive some important documents like an receipe and another (Of course I have 2 or three back-up of those file in my house).

Here is my 2 cents.
Macbook Air - 1.8GHz - Intel Core i5
4GB Memory - 250 GB Hard Disk
OS X Mountain Lion
iPad 2 - iPhone 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: