123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Save a bootable Leopard volume as DMG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KEphoto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Save a bootable Leopard volume as DMG Reply with quote

I have a partition on a HDD that has Leopard on it - specifically, and only to run one certain legacy program that I have (and it's associated files).

The partition is approx. 320GB - but there is only 16GB of data on there including the MacOS.

I thought of making a DMG file out of it - but then realized the DMG might become the full partition's 320GB in size!

Any suggestions on how I can archive and store this boot volume *as* a boot volume OTHER than dedicating a HDD partition or entire HDD to it?

I might be able to come up with another HDD and format something like an 18GB partition on it - then install leopard and use migration assistant to copy the rest on original boot volume... *then* make the DMG? That's a crazy amount of work - I'm a bit stumped.

Also thought of using CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to copy the boot volume - but not sure if they would support going from a large partition with lots of dead space, to a small one.

Even better if I could somehow get it onto a compact flash card - but I don't think that's possible without a ton of code work.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can copy 16GB of content onto an 18GB~20GB partition or thumb drive. The initial size of the source partition does not matter.

BTW what is the format of the current partition with the 16GB of data. You may be able to resize the partition without erasing the 16GB of data. It sounds like that may be what you ultimately like to do.
KEphoto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
You can copy 16GB of content onto an 18GB~20GB partition or thumb drive. The initial size of the source partition does not matter.

BTW what is the format of the current partition with the 16GB of data. You may be able to resize the partition without erasing the 16GB of data. It sounds like that may be what you ultimately like to do.

Thanks, I've been playing with it since I wrote the post. The format of the old drive partition was HFS+ and probably APM, but I'm going to be using GUID.

I cleared off a 120GB portable USB drive I had, and partitioned a 18GB section for this.

Used CarbonCopyCloner (since it was USB) to copy (only needed 14GB total ultimately) - reminder to donate again to them!

At first I was concerned because it wouldn't boot on my 2010 MacBookPro - then I realized I needed legacy hardware as well - so out came the 2009 Mac Mini - it booted from there perfectly, albeit slowly.

With that confirmed, from my 2011 Mini/DiskUtility I've selected the Leopard 18GB Volume and used "New Image" and am creating, hopefully a DMG file that can ether be booted from - or restore to a bootable drive/partition.

For safety, I'll probably just keep the portable drive with the 18GB Leopard partition on it - since that drive is too small to be useful for anything other than transferring files around.

Assuming the DMG works, this should have resolved everything I was looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: