123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Thunderbolt Display Review Roundup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Apple Thunderbolt Display Review Roundup Reply with quote

Apple Thunderbolt Display Review Roundup
Saturday, September 24, 2011
Posted by: Kenan

A couple really nice reviews of the Apple Thunderbolt Display were posted up towards the end of the week. This includes reviews of the display from AnandTech, CNET, Macworld and PC Magazine. And the reviews are pretty darn favorable too, noting the image quality, performance, audio quality, and ability to connect multiple devices to the display. So down below, you'll find all of the links to these reviews. If you only read one review though, make sure it's the one from AnandTech. It's incredibly detailed.

AnandTech "For me the Thunderbolt Display is good but not perfect. I wish it had a 1/8" stereo output, an SD card reader and USB 3.0 support. Give me those things and I'd be ecstatic. There's always next year's model," writes Anand Lal Shimpi of AnandTech.

CNET "The lack of native PC support is still a disappointment. That said, the stellar performance and added connection features, including Ethernet and Thunderbolt, make it a powerful and functional monitor for users of Thunderbolt-enabled Macs," writes Eric Franklin of CNET.

Macworld "For owners of the 2011 MacBook Air, the Thunderbolt Display is a fantastic way to get iMac-like features while still being able to walk away with one of the lightest laptops available. If your Mac has Thunderbolt, FireWire 800, and gigabit ethernet, the case for buying the comparatively inflexible Thunderbolt display is a little less interesting," writes James Galbraith of Macworld.

PC Magazine "There's a lot to like about the Apple Thunderbolt Display. It's the first monitor to offer Thunderbolt high-speed connectivity, it delivers excellent image quality, and its audio output is top shelf. Having the ability to connect multiple devices makes it an ideal base station for MacBook laptops, and like nearly every other product sporting an Apple logo, it's a real head turner. It is certainly more expensive than most 27-inch monitors, but no other monitor can do what it does, at least not yet. All this is why this monitor earns the Editors' Choice. If you own a Thunderbolt-enabled MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, or iMac, the Thunderbolt Display makes perfect sense," writes John Delaney of PC Magazine.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1714.html
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Thunderbolt Display Review Roundup Reply with quote

admin wrote:
If you only read one review though, make sure it's the one from AnandTech. It's incredibly detailed.

That's one of the best reviews of a monitor that I have seen. Thanks for posting! I am still on the fence about buying one though. I'm mostly worried about the glare and reflections. Well, that and justifying the price to my better half. Laughing
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still amazes me that everything goes through Thunderbolt.
iLife's a Bitch!
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they are amazing displays. I had the chance to see one in person over the weekend at my friend's house. He really seems to like it so far. The only complaints he had were with the vertical viewing angles. I really couldn't notice much shifting though. The speakers were amazing too. In fact, I think they might sound better than the iMac's built-in speakers. Maybe because there is more room for the speakers to resonate.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGN wrote:
The speakers were amazing too. In fact, I think they might sound better than the iMac's built-in speakers. Maybe because there is more room for the speakers to resonate.

There is a teardown of the ATD on iFixit that shows the inside and speakers.

http://www.ifixit.com/blog/blog/2011/09/28/apple-thunderbolt-display-teardown/

It looks like it has a 1" subwoofer. I'm not sure if the iMac has that or not, but that could be the difference.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: