123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MM with Ext BD, OS10.6 & 7 won't mount BD - OS10.5 will?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phase52010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: MM with Ext BD, OS10.6 & 7 won't mount BD - OS10.5 will? Reply with quote

What I have: (the problem is explained below):

Model Name: Mac mini
  Model Identifier: Macmini4,1
  Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
  Number Of Processors: 1
  Total Number Of Cores: 2
  L2 Cache: 3 MB
  Memory: 8 GB
  Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
  Boot ROM Version: MM41.0042.B00
  SMC Version (system): 1.65f2
  Serial Number (system): C07DJ0JVDD6L
  Hardware UUID: A8EBDDAE-BD8B-5AC7-8235-3AD66BF0EB5E

MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS: (EXTERNAL USB connection)
  Firmware Revision: 1.01
  Interconnect: USB
  Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)
  Profile Path: None
  Cache: 2048 KB
  Reads DVD: Yes
  CD-Write: -R, -RW
  DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
  BD-Write: -R, -RE
  Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
  Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

OS: Either OS10.7 or OS 10.6.8, I can boot up in either.
The MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS is connected via USB from which it gets it's power. Due to
the limited USB ports on the Mac MIni I have a USB HUB which I use to connect the MATSHITA.
I purchased the MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS under 30 days ago, and it's taken me that long
to get some blank BD-RE media to test it. (And if it's important, I'm in Australia, DVD Region 4
Bluray Region B).

Problem:
When running EITHER OS10.7 or OS10.6.8 on the Mac Mini: (I can boot into either):

- The MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS is recognised by the system, however if I load a BLANK BD-RE
or BD-R the system will attempt to read them for a short period of time then spit them out. They
do not mount.
- If I load a BD-RE will data burnt on it the system reads it for a short period then spits it out.
It will not mount it.
- If I load a Region FREE commercial BD disc the system will recognise and mount it.
- If I load a Region LOCKED commercial BD disc the system reads it for a short period of time,
then spits it out. It will not mount it.

However:
When I connect the MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS to my ancient PowerMac G4 running OS10.5.8:

- The MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS is recognised by the system, and will mount BLANK BD-RE and
BD-R disc's. A message pops up and asks me what I would like to do with them.
- If I load a Region FREE commercial BD disc the system will recognise and mount it.
- If I load a Region LOCKED commercial BD disc the system will recognise and mount it.

I am at a loss to understand why the MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS works so well on my old G4, and
not on my year old (Intel) Mac Mini.

Is this an OS issue?
Is this a hardware issue?
Does anyone know what's going on and /or have a solution?

Happy to receive any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks.
Robert.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a hardware issue.

Only certain bd drives work in mac os x 10.6 and 10.7 sorry to say it's trial and error with most drives..

Now you may have another issue which i can also think of are you using the correct region version of mac os x snow leopard or lion are they both aus.

The reason i ask is the australian government restricts content with extreme copy protection so trying to copy anything in the u.k/australian version of mac os x will mess with you every step of the way.

Now there is a third option although i don't recommend it because it will slow down your burner like crazy.... you can try a powered usb hub and see if it improves your chances at read and write..
phase52010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
It's a hardware issue.
Only certain bd drives work in mac os x 10.6 and 10.7 sorry to say it's trial and error with most drives..

That's annoying; and it must cause a lot of BD drives to be returned. I wish Apple would get over this BD phobia.

macmanmacman wrote:
Now you may have another issue which i can also think of are you using the correct region version of mac os x snow leopard or lion are they both aus.

Snow Leopard came installed on the Mac Mini when purchased, and Lion was downloaded from the Apple Australia, so I'm pretty sure both are "local".

macmanmacman wrote:
The reason i ask is the australian government restricts content with extreme copy protection so trying to copy anything in the u.k/australian version of mac os x will mess with you every step of the way.

Oh, I've been able to copy Region free BD and DVDs aren't a problem, it was only the Region (A) Locked disc that I couldn't access in OS10.6 or 7. In OS10.5.8 it mounted fine. I just don't have any SW that copies BD on the old G4. ("MakeMKV is not supported on the architecture").

macmanmacman wrote:
Now there is a third option although i don't recommend it because it will slow down your burner like crazy.... you can try a powered usb hub and see if it improves your chances at read and write.

Methinks I've spent enough time on this issue.
I have a 30 day return on the drive, so I think I'll just send it back for a refund and/or credit.

Any recommendations for a replacement?
I'm thinking maybe the Pioneer BDR-205 External, which is more than I wanted to spend, but if it works I'll be happy.

And thanks for the help Macman. Appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: