123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VMware Intros Fusion 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: VMware Intros Fusion 4 Reply with quote

VMware Intros Fusion 4
Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Posted by: Staff

VMware today announced the release of Fusion 4, a major update of their virtualization software for Mac users. According to the company, this version of the software includes over 90 new features and is optimized for today's multi-core Macs and Mac OS X Lion. Key features in VMware Fusion 4 include:

VMware Fusion 4 is designed to provide the best Windows experience on OS X Lion. Add Windows programs to Launchpad, experience them in Mission Control, view them in full screen or switch between them using Mac gestures.

VMware Fusion 4 has been engineered to run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side with incredible speed and reliability. As a 64-bit Cocoa application, it is optimized for today's multi-core Macs and delivers 3D graphics up to 2.5-times faster than previous versions of Fusion.

VMware Fusion 4 enhances the way Windows programs run on a Mac. From the brand new settings menu to the redesigned virtual machine library and snapshot menu, users have even more Mac-like experiences when running Windows programs.

- VMware Fusion 4 now supports OS X Lion in a virtual machine, allowing users to get more from their Mac by running OS X Lion, OS X Lion Server, Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server and Mac OS X Leopard Server in virtual machines.

VMware Fusion 4 is available until the end of the year for a promotional price of $49.99. The regular price for VMware Fusion 4 is $79.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1706.html
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news, it always makes me happy to see the virtualization companies make progress and improve performance. I wonder how VMware's new release will compare to Parallels, who seems to have had the upper hand with the last two releases.

I won't upgrade to Fusion 4 right away, since I've been happy with Parallels, and made a huge discovery last week - OpenBox, a free virtualization solution. I haven't tried OpenBox on the Mac, but it runs great on Windows, supports Parallels, VHD's and VMDK's.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, but I hope they add official support for W8 soon. The developer release is pretty cool.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure who is winning of the performance front these days between Fusion and Parallels, but I probably need to upgrade soon or take a better look at VirtualBox.
iLife's a Bitch!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded to Fusion 4, but I should have looked before I leaped. I had Snow Leopard (not SL Server) running on a VM on Fusion 3, thanks to a patch which allowed SL guest to be run. As soon as I upgraded and converted the older VM's, the patch stopped working and Fusion refused to boot the non-server version. Reapplying the patch didn't work; it gave errors. I searched the internet for a comparable patch for Fusion 4, but couldn't find one. So now I'm stuck waiting for someone to issue a patch for the current version.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if it's possible to run Snow Leopard as one of the VM's on a 2011 Mac mini?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous post applies to a 2011 mac mini, but the SL vm was made on an older Mac and copied over.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
My previous post applies to a 2011 mac mini, but the SL vm was made on an older Mac and copied over.

If you don't mind me asking, what method and patch did you use to copy it over?
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how long this code will last, but FUSION20 gets you $10 off at checkout. It's a nice upgrade coming from v2.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
Fox wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what method and patch did you use to copy it over?

I made the vm on my 2009 mini running SL. I used a SL full installation disk (10.6.0), and installed it in a Fusion 3 VM set as SL Server. If I recall correctly, I was able to install it from the disk, but when I went to reboot the VM Fusion wouldn't allow it, as it wasn't the Server version. I found the patch with a Google search, but I can't remember the url. It was a small folder that you download and uncompress, and within it was the patch specific for MacOSX. It's a Terminal program, but it won't work unless you have root status first in the Terminal. You get this by starting Terminal and typing "sudo -s". It asks you for your password and then makes you root. At that point, just move the patch file into the Terminal window, hit <Return>, and the patch does its thing. You can then start up Fusion and run your SL VM.

To get it onto Lion, I just copied the VM onto my Lion disk. When you start it in Fusion 3, it asks whether it was moved or copied, and then it just works.

I'm presently waiting for a patch to Fusion 4. If anyone encounters it, please post the url location.

Edit: I managed to locate the patch that works on Fusion 3. It is called Albert's unlocker.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious - has anyone tried running the new Windows 8 Developer release on VM4? ...does it run well?

It seems those using VirtualBox are already having challenges. It does work on VMWare Workstation (for WIndows) though.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Lion and the Windows 8 Developer Preview on a 2011 Mac mini with Fusion 4. It's really snappy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: