123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth keyboards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KEphoto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth keyboards Reply with quote

I have questions - having never used a BT keyboard before I just got a 2011 Mini (in addition to my 2009 Mini).

Will *ANY* current generation BT keyboard work with the 2011 Mini?

Can I share the BT keyboard between the two Minis running side by side or can one keyboard only be paired with one device at a time?

On a similar note, I have an HP Touchpad on order and would like to hopefully sometimes use that single BT keyboard with it as well if that's possible.... yes/no?

So - the underlying question then is - are all BT keyboards going to be universal?
Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2011 Mini was in many ways designed for the use of a bluetooth keyboard. As long as it is a working unit there shouldn't be any problems. Here is the user manual to the current wireless BT keyboard.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_Wireless_Keyboard_2009_UG.pdf

It is really a no-brainer to link them.
KEphoto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - of course I would assume compatibility with an Apple BT keyboard to be a no brainer. I've already paired a Magic TrackPad with two different Minis. My concern was if I got a no-name generic BT keyboard.

I guess we're saying BT is BT - anything should work.
Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one little tidbit of information you may want to keep in mind. The Apple Wireless BT keyboard recently changed versions from /A to /B. The /B version is the one you will want if you are using OS X Lion as it has been changed specifically for Lion. Personally I wouldn't go with a third party BT keyboard. If you look around the net you will find plenty of reviews of the Apple Wireless BT keyboard and they are all excellent. Additionally you will even find many of the reviewers are PC types that choose the Apple keyboard because of the quality. I for one really like the latest round of Apple wireless products because of their energy efficiency. The batteries last so long you almost forget that they are there. That is a huge deal. The convenience of a BT keyboard will quickly seem like a poor trade off if you are forced to change out the batteries every week or two. Also, the Apple products let you know what the battery level is so you are never caught off guard.

Last edited by Am Yisrael Chai! on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree the new apple bt keyboards rock
mccall66

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: BT Keyboard and Mouse Reply with quote

I just bought the i5 Mini last week and am new to an Apple desktop. I love the size and OS of the Mini compared to my old XP machine.

My set up requires a wireless KB and mouse. I gave the Trackpad and Magic Mouse a try but had pairing issues right out of the gate. After wrestling with it for 3 hours, I returned everything including the Mini as I figured out it was a bad BT module in the Mini.

I eventually bought a Microsoft Comfort 5000 KB and Intellimouse for $70. This is half the price of the Apple peripherals with more options and customization.

They paired automatically on their own, which I can't say the Apple products did....shame.

Now, I'm very happy with the OS Lion and get my PC type controls....best of both worlds I have to say!

The KB and mouse look and feel awesome and I highly recommend them to solve anyone's problems!
Isabella8688

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am Yisrael Chai! wrote:
The 2011 Mini was in many ways designed for the use of a bluetooth keyboard. As long as it is a working unit there shouldn't be any problems. Here is the user manual to the current wireless BT keyboard.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_Wireless_Keyboard_2009_UG.pdf

It is really a no-brainer to link them.

Such a very amazing link!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AZIO BT KB for my MBP whenever I run it on an external monitor and close it, usually when connected to a large TV. I went with that over the Apple BT KB since I needed something that was smaller and worked well with Windows and Linux.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
gaby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the 2011 mini and it's great for me Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: