123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple Reply with quote

Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Posted by: Staff

Apple's Board of Directors today announced that Steve Jobs has resigned as Chief Executive Officer, and the Board has named Tim Cook, previously Apple's Chief Operating Officer, as the company's new CEO. They go on to say that Jobs has been elected Chairman of the Board and Cook will join the Board, effective immediately.

"Steve's extraordinary vision and leadership saved Apple and guided it to its position as the world's most innovative and valuable technology company," said Art Levinson, Chairman of Genentech, on behalf of Apple's Board. "Steve has made countless contributions to Apple's success, and he has attracted and inspired Apple's immensely creative employees and world class executive team. In his new role as Chairman of the Board, Steve will continue to serve Apple with his unique insights, creativity and inspiration."

"The Board has complete confidence that Tim is the right person to be our next CEO," added Levinson. "Tim's 13 years of service to Apple have been marked by outstanding performance, and he has demonstrated remarkable talent and sound judgment in everything he does."

Apple also posted a copy of the resignation letter from Steve Jobs on their website.

"To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple's brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve"

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1696.html
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad he did remake apple into a top brand.
Not a rant
(((The last year since his leave of absence Apple has really started to slip with quality control.

I have had more problems with apple purchases in the June 2010 to Aug 2011 time frame then June 2006 to June 2010.

To put it another way In the last year (june 2010- aug 2011) 5 returns from 50 purchases

Vs

2 returns from 110 purchases (june 2006- june 2010).

Apple has always fixed the problems until my last return yesterday. Sent a 2011 refurb MBP back because it came lion loaded with no snow software. I purchased the machine as a refurb because it said it had snow. I need snow They have no snow available for 3 weeks..))

Not a rant.

My point is that apple has a lot on its mind losing Steve Jobs was going to happen soon due to the pancreatic cancer. 99 percent death rate is very hard to beat. I know they claim he has or had a rare curable version, but he does not look good. So much of what apple is, is Steve Jobs. Stock trading has been halted I am sure this may lead to some bad days on the market in the next month or so. I hope that MR Jobs is the rare 1 percent that wins. I have always followed Apple and in its darkest day yet lets hope that this works out well.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes Shocked

Hope the place runs smoothly without his direct involvement. His vision and decision making on the front lines, made Apple the success it is today.

Yikes Shocked
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope his health hasn't taken a turn for the worse. I'm not that worried all that much about a Steveless Apple. They have such a lead in the marketplace, smart and innovative people, and more operating cash than the US government. It's a fine tuned machine to say the least.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that Apple will be fine as far as product developement for the next 1 - 2 years. The business is strong and he has basically given the nod to the person he trusts the most, Mr. Tim Cook, and I would suggest that Tim is about as close to understanding Steve as anybody. The niche that Steve and Apple developed is really on autopilot with the upcoming releases of the iPad and the iPhone redux.

The stock price is another story, with as much emotion that Apple commands it could be an interesting roller coaster ride until people are more comfortable with Tim. Again though he has been running the company on and off for a good amount of time at this moment.

As far as Steve's health, it doesn't look good and I am guessing that this news release will be followed briefly by sadder news. My first computer was an Apple II in the early 80's, for those of us that have been using Apple's it's all we really know; kind of sad.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just concerned about innovation. I hope the people there can make things work well. Surely Steve Jobs didn't have all of the good ideas in all of the software or maybe not even all of the products. What I'm sure he did well was develop the ideas that he felt were good and make them great.

Someone needs to take control and be prescient enough to know what will be great and what will be a fad.

Imagine if Apple becomes like HP or Dell in five years. Who will be leading the world of computing? Will the leadership come from China? I doubt it but what if it did? We'd be exposed to all sorts of weird products the Chinese felt were good.

Refining technology has always been the realm of Japan. Creating great concepts has always been an American trait. The Chinese are just followers. Maybe Dell will eventually change its operating basis and choose to do more research and innovation to increase it's share of the market.

In five years Microsoft will still be trying to sell a repackaged Windowz to everybody in one form or another.

Intel seems to be trying to kick start technology with other companies. Is AMD doing much? I don't hear about them too often. It seems that the chip makers just might have to create their own consumer products to go along with their chip innovations.

Smallwheels

www.MySpace.com/Beninate
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
As far as Steve's health, it doesn't look good and I am guessing that this news release will be followed briefly by sadder news. My first computer was an Apple II in the early 80's, for those of us that have been using Apple's it's all we really know; kind of sad.

Yeah, it really feels like something sad is coming. I just hope we are wrong. It would be such a loss. Sad

Smallwheels wrote:
I'm just concerned about innovation. I hope the people there can make things work well. Surely Steve Jobs didn't have all of the good ideas in all of the software or maybe not even all of the products. What I'm sure he did well was develop the ideas that he felt were good and make them great.

That's my concern as well. They have a ton of smart and innovative people, but what they could end up missing is a great "yes or no" man. Steve had such a great eye for design and materials. And what's coming around the bend. Meaning what you and I will want to be buying 24 months from now. Someone has to say yes or no to these projects, and just look at the track record that Steve has had. He's been right so may times over the last couple years. Who's going to be that man at Apple now?

Smallwheels wrote:
Imagine if Apple becomes like HP or Dell in five years. Who will be leading the world of computing? Will the leadership come from China? I doubt it but what if it did? We'd be exposed to all sorts of weird products the Chinese felt were good.

I actually think Apple is going to take over the world when it comes to the personal computer business. Heck, HP already wants out of the computer business cause they see the trend. More and more people are buying Macs and leaving Windows behind. Then you have Dell. I mean, who really wants to buy a Dell these days? Lousy design, cheap parts, poor customer service and Windows. Neither of these companies have anything going on the mobile or tablet front either. That's going to tie into computer sales in the future as well. The only company to really worry about, in my opinion, is Google. It will take a company that does software and hardware to truly compete.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The younger Steve Jobs always came off as being arrogant to me, but I've really grown to like him over the last couple years. He's like the friendly old wizard behind the curtain with a quirky sense of humor. One that always has you curious to what's coming out next from behind the curtain. I'm sure some of that will disappear now with his departure, but Apple is still a great company. I would't buy a computer from any other company now. Nor a phone or tablet for that matter. They just have it.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple is like the only company left that doesn't treat computers like a throw away commodity. That is why they will continue to succeed without Steve Jobs. I will miss him though. At least when it comes to keynote addresses and stuff. The other guys are totally boring.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just seems really sad. Sad that he's leaving Apple as CEO. And even more sad, that his health might be slipping away because of cancer. I'm really bummed now. Sad
castaway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one thing

I would rather have this man in charge...

http://youtu.be/xEAXuHvzjao

than this man in charge any day...

http://youtu.be/wvsboPUjrGc

Smile
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got that right castaway!

Of course Jobs is still Chairman of the Board, so he is still involved in Apple's operations.

Jonathan Ives is still Apple's design chief. Who knows maybe someday he will approve something new?

So, while I've never been a big fan of Jobs, I do hope that his health will be better than it has been.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Cook always comes off as a really smart guy. Not to mention really reserved, which is a characteristic I admire. It's a shame about Steve Jobs though. It proves once again that you can have everything in life, but if you don't have your health, what's it all worth? We should all wake up everyday and count our blessings for that fact alone. That's what really counts in life. It's not about how much money you have or how many gadgets you own.
iLife's a Bitch!
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article, 10 Unusual Things You Didn't Know About Steve Jobs, by James Altucher.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Cook comes from a working class family from Alabama. I am positive we will see changes in Apple. He is a child of the South. Steve was always from California. Tim is a transplant. Their influences are vastly different. There is one thing about Tim Cook that he certainly has in common with Steve and that is his work ethic. Tim will get the job done and then some. I expect the era of Tim Cook will see Apple grow exponentially.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: