123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Time Needing Time Machine, It Worked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: First Time Needing Time Machine, It Worked. Reply with quote

I've had Leopard since September 2008. I bought an external hard drive for the purpose of transferring my Windows XP files to the Mac Book. Having a copy of all of my documents in a safe place made sense to me. I just thought it would be easier to transfer all of my files from the external hard drive than it would be connecting the Mac Book to the XP computer. It was easier.

For the first few months I kept the external hard drive always on so that Time Machine could operate. Eventually I realized that the external drive didn't need to be on all the time because I don't do critical work very often. My computer is only accessed by me so I don't need to worry about someone else messing it up. Now I turn on Time Machine when it prompts me that it has been more than ten days since the last backup. Sometimes I wait twenty days before turning on the external drive.

Today for the first time I utilized Time Machine as it is intended to be used. I found a folder that had been deleted during my ongoing cleanup of the Mac Book. It wasn't a critical file. It was just some interesting data I had stored that I wanted to review. I'm glad Time Machine worked for me this time.

Is there such a program that works with Ubuntu Linux? I'd like to have similar protection on my Linux HP computer.

I've accumulated sixty-eight gigabytes of data since I began using personal computers in 2001. It isn't much compared to some people. Originally I thought most of that was taken up by photos but I was wrong. I only have 13.2 GB of photo data. Eighteen GBs of Flip Videos takes up some space and the rest is documents and other programs that seem too excessive to account for the total disc usage on my computer.

I can account for about forty-four GBs including the Library file. What is using the remainder of the 68 GBs of the utilized space on my hard drive? Is the rest of it the Leopard OS?

Smallwheels

www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: