123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Add Second Hard Drive To Your 2011 Mac Mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Add Second Hard Drive To Your 2011 Mac Mini Reply with quote

Add Second Hard Drive To Your 2011 Mac Mini
Monday, August 01, 2011
Posted by: Kenan

We've received several reports now that users are successfully upgrading their 2011 Mac minis with a second hard drive. This isn't a giant surprise with iFixit's teardown showing enough room in the bay for a second hard drive, but you will need a second slightly longer SATA cable for installation. It turns out you can get this cable, which is the standard bottom flex cable (Apple part number: 922-9560) from the 2010 Mac mini server, from parts retailers like Mac Parts Online. They are currently selling the cable for around $33, so get them while they're hot.

We've also heard some rumblings that a predominant Mac accessory and upgrade company may be getting into the mix with an after-market upgrade kit of their own. So, we'll keep you posted if we happen to learn anything more on that front.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1679.html

Last edited by admin on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, mac parts online is currently offline. Hmmm?
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if someone had a cheaper cable, but this makes me want the mid-range model with AMD graphics even more. I'll probably wait around for the next update though. I have a sneaky feeling the quad-core i7 will make it into all of the models next time around.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt;

if they want a quad-core i7 with a good gpu they only need offer an external brick psu of 110watts easy- peasy not sure if they will go that route. It would offer the power needed and solve all overheating issues.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
It would offer the power needed and solve all overheating issues.

Don't disagree on the power, but solving an overheating problem that there is no indication exists?

To date in the short period of time I have been reading about the 2011 version, there have been several dozen people complaining of "overheating" at temps between 40-60C which is normal and can not be described as overheating. My current and previous laptops run between those temps often reach 80 and run comfortably although noisily, but still normal. Occasionally they may get over >=100 for short periods while doing heavy photo work. This is normal. The switching between the the Intel HD Graphics and the Radeon is usually a 20 bump up as well, which is normal.

Although it may happen I have not heard or read of a 2011 mini overheating and shutting down or dying; if there are reports I would as would many others like to read about them.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overheating problem does not exist per se as I was lazy did not write a full explanation of what I meant.

The current psu would over heat with a quad and a discrete gpu if the machine was pushed. People would get beyond the psu ratings. Since no such machine has that setup overheating now does not really exist. I posted the math some where on the site.

quad 45
gpu 15
usb jacks 12
fw jack 9
fan 1

adds to 82 watts

t-bolt ?
hdmi ?
speaker ?

Some people can run a mini with the above ports used and that would overheat the psu shutting down the machine. That is why the quad and the gpu are not in one machine. Right now the brick is the fix. In a year maybe a lower powered gpu or cpu knocks the brick out. I for one say make the brick for high powered users as a bto option.

Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on now, seriously?! What is this fanciful talk about external power bricks. If there is one thing that Apple has been methodically doing for some time now, no doubt under the orders of S.J. himself, is getting rid of external power bricks. That just isn't going to happen. Apple is going to wait for more efficient processors and gnu chips. Everybody knows they are coming down the pipe quick. Furthermore, what was the lifecycle of the core2duo chips in the last rendition of mini? The duos ran from 2006 to 2010. I wouldn't be surprised if the current chips or similar chips see a run until efficiencies meet Apple's requirements for their next mini miracle. Here we are talking about processor and gpu bumps when the baby is just hatched. The external sonnet PCIe box solves the gnu upgrade issue. I bet village instruments will also jump on that bandwagon. Enough of that.

Can somebody tell me if the HD bracket in the non server i5/i7 mini will need to be replaced with the HD bracket that comes with the server version, or are they the same? Obviously the cable is a no brainer. I am wondering about he mounting hardware.
Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the part to which I am referring 922-9571:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/lovemacs_2167_2051649249

Is that identical to the one in the current minis?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am Yisrael Chai! wrote:

Don't know how it compares totally wih the 2010 model, but I have read that the caddy/carrier has two mounting holes for each drive on the case side of the caddy. All you need is four screws and you're in business.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am Yisrael Chai! wrote:
Come on now, seriously?! What is this fanciful talk about external power bricks. If there is one thing that Apple has been methodically doing for some time now, no doubt under the orders of S.J. himself, is getting rid of external power bricks. That just isn't going to happen. Apple is going to wait for more efficient processors and gnu chips. Everybody knows they are coming down the pipe quick. Furthermore, what was the lifecycle of the core2duo chips in the last rendition of mini? The duos ran from 2006 to 2010. I wouldn't be surprised if the current chips or similar chips see a run until efficiencies meet Apple's requirements for their next mini miracle. Here we are talking about processor and gpu bumps when the baby is just hatched. The external sonnet PCIe box solves the gnu upgrade issue. I bet village instruments will also jump on that bandwagon. Enough of that.

Can somebody tell me if the HD bracket in the non server i5/i7 mini will need to be replaced with the HD bracket that comes with the server version, or are they the same? Obviously the cable is a no brainer. I am wondering about he mounting hardware.

the brick as a power option would cost hundreds less then the external sonnet pcie box. apple would keep the profit not ship it out to another company. you need a power cord to plug into the mini anyway.

I do agree 100 percent that apple will not do it. SJ has ego issues as do all ceos of billion dollar companies and the brick would be seen as a backwards step. Steve will not do that. Too bad because it is better form and function then any other solution. For a one box mini that would be a real gamer/render/server monster.

The brick could be morphed into this shape. Put a pass through power outlet and use both plugs on the wall plate it would be a bit bigger. It is a better solution and you could come up with a fancy apple like name for it. So steve that is my gift to apple feel free to use the idea.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006BBAC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001F5OW9O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1CV2X3YE1RE9ED0HY2ND

Last edited by philiparcario on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
epic_ed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable is already sold out. Crying or Very sad

Does anyone else carry them?
saul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am Yisrael Chai! wrote:

Looks similar. The holes on side are around 3/8" so need a rubber grommet in addition to the screws. The picture looks like it includes the grommets.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am Yisrael Chai! wrote:

here is a teardown photo link

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/cracking-open-the-apple-mac-mini-2011/6265433?seq=35&tag=thumbnail-view-selector;get-photo-roto

this is what is in the 2011 mini here is the full 74 photo link

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/cracking-open-the-apple-mac-mini-2011/6265433?tag=content;siu-container

they are free to join I am not sure if they will let you see all photos without sign up.

it looks like the bracket in the 2011 base model and the 2010 server are one in the same. I can confirm by memory that they look very close to the same as i opened a few 2011 machines to put a single hdd in.

Am Yisrael Chai!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree they do seem to be identical. I would not be surprised if they have the server and non server 2011 minis have the same part number for the HD bracket. I guess that would cinch it.
or_astroman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Price gouge already?? Reply with quote

Wink

I found some here but the price is about $10usd more

http://www.welovemacs.com/9229560.html

Our UK friends can find them here but they are out of stock right now but have a 12 day lead time

http://www.applemacparts.co.uk/store/mac-mini-intel-mid-2010-a1347-266-server-mac-mini-intel-server-bottom-hard-drive-flex-cable-p-72073.html

I'll have to worry about this when I actually get my AMD Mini I guess.

Veteran 1.5Ghz PowerPC(Stock)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: