123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAS on iBook g4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jessegomez

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: NAS on iBook g4 Reply with quote

I wanted to setup a NAS from an old iBook g4.... To setup an iTunes media server...time machine backup stream to appletv 2...any suggestion??? I looked at a couple of different setup but not convinced with them...
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off which type of g4 leopard only runs on machines with 867mhz processors or faster which you need.

You also need the latest version of iTunes for leopard which soon will go by the way side.

Apple is stopping powerpc support and the g4 will never be powerful enough to do what you want to do it's not just the processor that will limit you it is the network adapter as well.
Jessegomez

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks...how about like loading ubuntu....or freebsd ....or something like that...will something like that work...i really dont need the machine for anything...
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ubuntu might work but the last known version for powerpc is feisty and it's version 8.0.4 and ubuntu is now at 10.4 so you do the math on version numbers you might be better off just putting it up for sale on craigslist people will purchase older macintosh for parts and you might be able to get enough money for a faster g4 or intel solo core and use it for your needs???
Jessegomez

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you...I think I will try that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: