123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody using Lion and Bootcamp yet? The Good....the Bad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Anybody using Lion and Bootcamp yet? The Good....the Bad. Reply with quote

Thought I would ask if anyone has switched over to Lion and is running Windows under Bootcamp?

I may give it whirl......but my intent is to let this new OS sink in with users and see how it all shakes out before I commit. My SL and W7 are working working perfect.

......but remember I used the word "intent"; in the end we will see how long I hold out. Rolling Eyes

BUt I think it would be great to start a thread on Lion and Bootcamp; so feel free to add on to this with your comments and observations concerning Bootcamp and Lion.
Very Happy
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't notice any difference between Lion and Snow Leopard in regards to BootCamp (Win7 64-bit). Use it daily and there isn't anything changes that I can see. Running on MBP.
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Great to know. So did you did you do an upgrade to from your SL to Lion or a clean install?

I am hoping that I can just do an in place upgrade and keep my Windows7 intact?

Anything you want to add is appreciated. Thanks
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dl'ed the installer and grabbed the .dmg as installed it on a thumb drive with disk utility (lots of links out there, just do a google search). Didn't do a clean install, just ran the program and i was off to the races.

Nothing was really updated as far as I can tell or if it was it was pretty seamless ... honestly rather boring. But boring is better than issues Smile
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did take the plunge. I sure held out a long time......Laughing

I Kept getting the same error over and over 'Error Cannot install. Recovery System Cannot be Created'

It had to do with Lion having to create a Recovery partition (2 gb) and that could not be done because it was confused by the Windows partition. At least that's what I gather.

What I tried that did not work

-Calling Apple. They claimed they had no knowledge of that error and we discussed some of the possibilities.

-Install by burned dmg Lion DVD, Failure
-Install by dmg Lion copy on USB. Failure
-Install by dmg Lion application that I had saved on desktop. Failure.

What worked

Removed Windows partition: Success

Of course I had to reinstall W7 with my install DVD and then used repair/recovery to get the original W7 image from my external. Good to make an image of your W7 if you haven't already.
***Also BTY the 4 versions I have of my Winclone saved W7 images said the same thing......Will only operate with Leopard or SL versions, hence the need to do a W7 install.

And that's about it for me. Perhaps it depends on other variables not found/or found on my Mini that required the windows partition to get dumped before OS Lion was installed.

I kept wondering was all this worth it? Actually after changing over to Lion I am greatly pleased by the improved gestures and and flow and mail and etc...those little things that make a difference in running Mac OS. I really like and glad I jumped over and glad that W7 jumped over with me.

Hope some of the above information helps someone else.

Keep posting about your Lion with Windows experiences.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, that sounds like an awful experience. I honestly had no issues and was up and running quickly. I'm not a fan of the Win7 install, so I feel for you having to do it all again.
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yikes, that sounds like an awful experience. I honestly had no issues and was up and running quickly. I'm not a fan of the Win7 install, so I feel for you having to do it all again.

Thanks for the sentiment. But today I have put it behind me and enjoying LION and even W7 immensely.

For those that used to use the now defunct Winclone...... what a great opportunity for a computer savvy person to come forward and work on a alternative. I have made a good natured challenge to a moderator at another forum today; I knew that he had been contemplating an alternative months ago before Lion hit. Sure would be nice if someone made an application that was so solid and easy to use as winclone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: