123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros New MacBook Air

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Apple Intros New MacBook Air Reply with quote

Apple Intros New MacBook Air
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Posted by: Staff

Apple today updated the MacBook Air with next generation processors, high-speed Thunderbolt I/O technology, a backlit keyboard and Mac OS X Lion. With up to twice the performance of the previous generation, flash storage for instant-on responsiveness and a compact design so portable you can take it everywhere, the MacBook Air starts at $999 and is available for order today and in stores tomorrow.

"Portable, affordable and powerful, MacBook Air is the ultimate everyday notebook" said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "MacBook Air features our most advanced technology and is an ideal match for Lion, especially with its new Multi-Touch gestures, full-screen apps, Mission Control and Mac App Store."

MacBook Air is available in 11-inch and 13-inch models that easily slip into a briefcase, purse or bag. The MacBook Air's durable aluminum unibody enclosure measures an incredibly thin 0.11-inches at its thinnest point and 0.68-inches at its thickest. Flash storage allows MacBook Air to turn on instantly and deliver fast data access, improved reliability and incredible energy efficiency. The 11-inch model weighs 2.38 pounds and provides up to 5 hours of battery life, while the 13-inch weighs 2.96 pounds and provides up to 7 hours of battery life.

With the latest Intel Core i5 and Core i7 dual-core processors, the new MacBook Air is up to twice as fast as the previous generation and has all the power you need for editing photos and movies, making FaceTime calls, playing games, and working with documents and presentations. MacBook Air also features Intel HD Graphics 3000 and offers up to 4GB of faster 1333 MHz memory.

Thunderbolt I/O technology provides expansion possibilities never before available to MacBook Air users. Through a single cable, users can connect to high performance peripherals and the new Apple Thunderbolt Display, the ultimate docking station for your Mac notebook. Thunderbolt can easily be adapted to support legacy connections such as FireWire and Gigabit Ethernet.

MacBook Air comes with a full size backlit keyboard and an innovative glass Multi-Touch trackpad. Designed for comfort and ease of typing, the backlit keyboard uses a sensor to automatically detect a change in ambient lighting and adjusts the keyboard brightness for any environment. The Multi-Touch trackpad supports Lion's new Multi-Touch gestures such as momentum scrolling, tapping or pinching your fingers to zoom in on a web page or image, and swiping left or right to turn a page or switch between full screen apps.

MacBook Air also features a brilliant, high resolution LED backlit display that is amazingly thin yet has the resolution of a much larger, bulkier screen. With ultra-fast Wi-Fi, you can wirelessly download apps from the Mac App Store, get music and movies from iTunes, back up data to Time Capsule and quickly and easily share files using AirDrop. MacBook Air includes Bluetooth for wireless peripherals and two USB ports for easy connectivity for the wired and wireless devices you use every day.

The 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air are available for order on the Apple Store today and in Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers starting July 21. The 1.6 GHz 11-inch MacBook Air is available in two models, one with 2GB of memory and 64GB of flash storage for a suggested retail price of $999 (US), and one with 4GB of memory and 128GB of flash storage for $1,199 (US). The 1.7 GHz 13-inch MacBook Air comes in two configurations, one with 4GB of memory and 128GB of flash storage for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US), and one with 4GB of memory and 256GB of flash storage for $1,599 (US). Configure-to-order options and accessories include a 1.8 GHz Core i7 processor, additional flash storage, MacBook Air SuperDrive and a USB Ethernet Adapter.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1662.html
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what my grandson told me he wants for Christmas now. Looks like I better start saving up. I am impressed with the update though. I even wouldn't mind having one myself. Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These will be very popular. I already sold 2 of them today.
I'm glad they all come with 4GB of RAM (except the base model).

It's going to be difficult for people to choose between one of these and a MacBook Pro now.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

It's going to be difficult for people to choose between one of these and a MacBook Pro now.

Were they 11 or 13-inchers? I've always wondered how the two break down sales wise.

BTW: Selling MacBook Airs sounds a lot sexier than sitting in a computer lab all day with a bunch of snotty kids. Mad
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

Were they 11 or 13-inchers? I've always wondered how the two break down sales wise.

BTW: Selling MacBook Airs sounds a lot sexier than sitting in a computer lab all day with a bunch of snotty kids. Mad

Mac sales are definitely fun. I'd do it for free. I don't make that much money, but I enjoy helping people spend money on Apple products Smile.

People usually want 13" high end MBAs. 256GB storage and 4GB RAM. They are by far the most popular model of the Airs.

If you want a breakdown of what sells the most. It is 13" then 15" MacBook Pros. Then 21.5" entry level iMacs followed by 27" entry level iMacs. I've only sold 1 Mac mini in 4 months. 1 Mac Pro in 4 months. vs. 2-4 iMacs/MacBook Pros per day.

MacBook Airs aren't all that popular, but we still sell a few. The type of person who buys a MBA, comes in knowing exactly want they want. It's a quick sale. With the introduction of the new Air I think they will become more popular. The thing that makes them great is also their downside. A lot of people want larger drives and an optical drive (even though they probably don't need either).
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we might have talked about this Bandit before, but I can't remember. Where and how big is the dealer that you work for? If you would like to keep things private, PM me. I'm interested to hear about the new job.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something a bit disappointing about the new Air's SSD, especially the 13" model:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/25/psa-apple-using-slower-ssds-in-some-macbook-air-models-video/

I did order a 13" (should arrive in about 2 days). This news doesn't seem so bad, but I wonder if I should have spent extra on the new Vaio Z instead (which I had trouble justifying the price for).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: