123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

utorrent handbrake questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: utorrent handbrake questions. Reply with quote

Okay I never bother with utorrent or any bit torrent soft ware. I have used hand brake. So here are a few questions.

lets say I search for a tv show and I find a down load of 30gb for 5 years of shows.

Now I know that would be slow to down load maybe a day At 120kB TO 240kB. l

ets say i fire it up and run it in the background. what are the rules to this. uTorrent seems to download to me and up load to The cloud or what ever. Is it common to do this? Say down load to me at 240 kB and upload to ? at 120kB .

NOT only that that when it is done will hand brake sort it out? say by each show or what?

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iDea behind bittorrent is that you are a part of the tracker/cloud. So if you download, you should also upload.

You can set it's limits to what ever you want. If the tracker is ratio oriented then you will wanna keep the up/down ratio at the minimum specified. Note that most public trackers are not ratio oriented, but pretty much ever private tracker is ratio oriented.

I'm not following you about Handbrake sorting it out. If the shows are already transcoded down to 350M then transcoding them again will result in less than desirable results.

You could just put all the files in a folder and in Handbrake open that folder. You will have to add each episode to the queue manually.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
The iDea behind bittorrent is that you are a part of the tracker/cloud. So if you download, you should also upload.

You can set it's limits to what ever you want. If the tracker is ratio oriented then you will wanna keep the up/down ratio at the minimum specified. Note that most public trackers are not ratio oriented, but pretty much ever private tracker is ratio oriented.

I'm not following you about Handbrake sorting it out. If the shows are already transcoded down to 350M then transcoding them again will result in less than desirable results.

You could just put all the files in a folder and in Handbrake open that folder. You will have to add each episode to the queue manually.

SC

Thanks sc!

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime!

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't download dvd's lion has a new feature that dial's home when you rip a dvd so watch it you have to right click select show package contents and delete the info.json it is what is dialing home just delete it
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? The OS injects something into an iso or A/V file? Or does the DVD player app have this thing?

SC

Make sure it has pins!
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
Don't download dvd's lion has a new feature that dial's home when you rip a dvd so watch it you have to right click select show package contents and delete the info.json it is what is dialing home just delete it

Aside from having a tremendously difficult time following your grammar and punctuation, would you care to point us to a source that verifies this? Also, are you able to clarify what you are saying succinctly?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just the information file you delete. If you delete the information file inside the dvd file you will see what i mean when you see it after the ripper rips the movie this is only in lion and only if you are ripping dvd's not downloading them which i still think is wrong you should just buy the movie
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had these files in any rips I made with MTR or just ripping with MakeMKV.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen or heard of them either; probably because they don't exist. Lion wouldn't cause these rippers to do any different either. As there is no package contents within the ripped files, not sure what he's talking about. Sounds like he's talking about some sort of root kit.

Unless he can produce a source or clarify, I call this bunk.
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunk, I say! Pure bunk!
swordsandtequila

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: utorrent handbrake questions. Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
Okay I never bother with utorrent or any bit torrent soft ware. I have used hand brake. So here are a few questions.

lets say I search for a tv show and I find a down load of 30gb for 5 years of shows.

Now I know that would be slow to down load maybe a day At 120kB TO 240kB. l

ets say i fire it up and run it in the background. what are the rules to this. uTorrent seems to download to me and up load to The cloud or what ever. Is it common to do this? Say down load to me at 240 kB and upload to ? at 120kB .

NOT only that that when it is done will hand brake sort it out? say by each show or what?

Check your download/upload speed at any of the free testing sites online (speedtest, ispgeeks, etc). Set your upload speed to apprx. 80% of upload test. In other words, if your upload speed is 200kb/s, set upload limit in utorrent to 160kb/s. This will maximize your download speed. Setting your upload speed too high or too low has a detrimental effect on your download speed. Here's a few links, familiarize yourself with the settings, can be quite confusing for newbies!

Code:
http://www.speedtest.net/

Code:
http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58404

As for handbrake, apples and oranges. Downloaded files will be ready to watch, just place in whatever folder and name according to whatever software you use (plex, atv, etc.).
NT Guardian Maximus 1TB Raid1, 500GB Raid0
OWC external Superdrive
An iPod for every occasion
iPhone 3g
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: