123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EyeTV + AVI, MKV, etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: EyeTV + AVI, MKV, etc Reply with quote

I primarily use my MacMini to record/watch live TV, but want to be able to watch AVI, MKV etc files too. My MacMini is connected to my plasma in my lounge room and I use a remote to control it all from the sofa.

Is there a plug-in, or add on, or any other way, to record/watch live TV AND other types of video files, controlling it all with a remote?

At the moment I'm using EyeTV then holding MENU to switch to FrontRow, then hitting MENU to switch back. It's clumsy but it works. Now that Apple has killed FrontRow (in their wisdom) I thought it's time to work out a proper solution.

I'm open to using Plex (or other software) to watch videos, then switch to EyeTV for live TV.

Ideally there's a plugin for EyeTV that shows my Movies folder listing, but i know that's too much to ask.

Cheers.
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look no further than Plex. It puts Front Row to shame.

You have a couple of options for switching between EyeTV and Plex. If you're happy using EyeTV primarily and using Plex as a secondary program you can launch from within EyeTV, I'd recommend a program called EyeRemote. It adds some nice functionality to EyeTV and allows for easy switching to other applications.

http://www.jibapps.com/en/products/eyeremote/

A more advanced option is to go with a Harmony Remote and another program called Remote Buddy, but for what you described you want to do, I'd try EyeRemote first.
swordsandtequila

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plex and a Harmony remote; with the Harmony, no need for Remote Buddy, etc. Easy to program to control all your devices.
NT Guardian Maximus 1TB Raid1, 500GB Raid0
OWC external Superdrive
An iPod for every occasion
iPhone 3g
Johnny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys. I will look into both ways and get back to you on how I go. I'm not that technical so setting up my Harmony might be too hard...
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're happy using the Apple remote, I recommend giving the Eye Remote app the first crack. Pretty darn simple to setup and it is free.
Johnny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swordsandtequila wrote:
Plex and a Harmony remote; with the Harmony, no need for Remote Buddy, etc. Easy to program to control all your devices.

Plex is A-MA-ZING!

I've tried EyeRemote but it seems buggy... comes up with an error saying another program has locked it and I need to quit that program before EyeRemote can be enabled??? Or EyeRemote makes my remote control the mac's volume in Plex not the menu???

@Swordsandtequila I've setup my Harmony to control the amp, tv, mac mini, but how do I control EyeTV to switch to Plex? Plex has an "Applications" menu item to go to EyeTV, which I've done.

The problem now is getting to Plex from EyeTV????
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:
swordsandtequila wrote:

Plex is A-MA-ZING!

I've tried EyeRemote but it seems buggy... comes up with an error saying another program has locked it and I need to quit that program before EyeRemote can be enabled??? Or EyeRemote makes my remote control the mac's volume in Plex not the menu???

@Swordsandtequila I've setup my Harmony to control the amp, tv, mac mini, but how do I control EyeTV to switch to Plex? Plex has an "Applications" menu item to go to EyeTV, which I've done.

Sorry, I missed that you had a harmony remote. For reference, I used a lot of the methods employed by this guy:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/lotech/7433
swordsandtequila

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:
swordsandtequila wrote:

Plex is A-MA-ZING!

Don't use EyeTV, maybe someone who does can chime in? There are plenty here who do, I'm sure some will help. Good luck.
NT Guardian Maximus 1TB Raid1, 500GB Raid0
OWC external Superdrive
An iPod for every occasion
iPhone 3g
Johnny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some trial and error I got it to work. I've had to use Remote Buddy.

I added the switch from Plex to EyeTV script from this site http://forums.elgato.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7423 - under Menu in Remote Buddy.

Then under Mapping I activated the Plex behaviour for the EyeTV menu hold function. It took some playing but was easy in the end.

Thanks for your help unblowupable5!

Just hope the new iTunes 11 doesn't replace FrontRow!

Cheers.
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it working. Remote Buddy isn't necessary if you're just running Plex, but adding it really open up the rest of your Mac to be controlled with a remote.
Johnny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new one for you!

Plex plays every video at twice the speed with no audio, and there is no way to turn it off?!?

Any ideas? Anyone???
Johnny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out that Plex runs at what looks like double speed if EyeTV has an active window.

So I went back to the link you sent (geekzone) and that led me in the right direction, to create menu shortcuts to make EyeTV do what I want:
* close window and open Plex...as well as
* open live window in EyeTV and go full screen.

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: