123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.33 gHz upgraded mini --> can't install Lion...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbbobbb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: 2.33 gHz upgraded mini --> can't install Lion... Reply with quote

Anybody report this yet?:

My 2.33 gHz CPU Core 2 Duo upgraded mini with 2GB of RAM is getting "This version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer" ....

Any ideas or workarounds? Sad
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.33 gHz upgraded mini --> can't install Lion... Reply with quote

bbbobbb wrote:
Anybody report this yet?:

My 2.33 gHz CPU Core 2 Duo upgraded mini with 2GB of RAM is getting "This version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer" ....

Any ideas or workarounds? Sad

My understanding is that upgraded computers are out of luck.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine you might be able to edit the installer and change the definitions for what it can install to.

Or not. Maybe Apple got smart at some point...

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
torpedo20

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link I found:

http://vureyosx.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-install-os-x-lion-107-on.html

(note: you must have your old mini CPU upgraded to C2D which you have done)
torpedo20

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I did test this with macmini and here are the results:

The short answer: you cannot run 10.7 Lion on your 'C2D upgraded' macmini.

The long answer is that yes, you can install it using the hacked Lion installer but there are things you cannot change:
due to EFI (BIOS replacement) being 32-bit only your kernel gets booted in 32 bit mode, too despite having 64-bit capable CPU.
That leads to all kinds of bad situations: you cannot install any updates nor programs designed with Lion in mind (they fail on the install). for example, you cannot install Java on it. The only thing did get installed was the new 10.4 iTunes since it was released for SL, too.

So, given what I've learned with this little experimentation I'll be reverting my macmini back to SL and start saving to buy this new'011 beast
Wink
japtor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's was something other than the EFI messing things up there, cause the first gen Mac Pros and a lot of C2D Macs don't have EFI64 either.
gdunlapsd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Working fine for me Reply with quote

I have an original "Late 2006" Mac Mini, originally a Core Duo which I've upgraded to a 2.0Ghz Core2Duo (T7200). Lion's running fine on it; here's what I did:

I booted the Mini into Firewire Target mode and connected it to my Macbook Pro (which is supported by Lion) via a Firewire cable. Then on the MBP I installed Lion to the Mini's mounted drive from the Release version of the installer I had purchased from the App Store.

After installation my MBP booted into Lion, in which I did a final step:
To allow Lion to boot on the Mini you need to remove or rename a file on the Mini's hard drive which is responsible for listing compatible machines, and it's probably easiest to do so from the command line because the file is invisible in Finder.

I opened Terminal, then changed to the appropriate directory by typing:

cd /System/Library/CoreServices

The file in that directory is called PlatformSupport.plist. It's been recommended to remove it, but I simply renamed it via this command:

mv PlatformSupport.plist PlatformSupport-dist.plist

After that I set the Macbook Pro's startup disk back to its internal drive and shut down, then shut down the Mini, then booted it up into Lion.

System Update works fine, and so did the Java installer.

Perhaps the reason others have had trouble is that they were installing from a hacked pre-release copies of Lion (which is what seems to be making the rounds on the pirate sites) - I installed from the release version I bought from the App Store, which may be what's required for System Update to work.
japtor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, that's basically how the first DP worked, albeit it let you install on the machine before having to do that step.

If it works the same way the plist is a whitelist that you can actually add your computer ID to, or at least replace one of the other ones there. I believe it was the motherboard, like for the 1,1 model it seems to be "F4208EC8 PVT" (going by Geekbench), although I forget if the PVT is needed.
lionmini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Working fine for me Reply with quote

I can confirm that this method works for a MacMini 1,1 upgraded to a T7200 C2D. Thanks mate!

gdunlapsd wrote:
I have an original "Late 2006" Mac Mini, originally a Core Duo which I've upgraded to a 2.0Ghz Core2Duo (T7200). Lion's running fine on it; here's what I did:

I booted the Mini into Firewire Target mode and connected it to my Macbook Pro (which is supported by Lion) via a Firewire cable. Then on the MBP I installed Lion to the Mini's mounted drive from the Release version of the installer I had purchased from the App Store.

To allow Lion to boot on the Mini you need to remove or rename a file on the Mini's hard drive which is responsible for listing compatible machines, and it's probably easiest to do so from the command line because the file is invisible in Finder.

The file in that directory is called PlatformSupport.plist. It's been recommended to remove it, but I simply renamed it via this command:

After that I set the Macbook Pro's startup disk back to its internal drive and shut down, then shut down the Mini, then booted it up into Lion.

Perhaps the reason others have had trouble is that they were installing from a hacked pre-release copies of Lion (which is what seems to be making the rounds on the pirate sites) - I installed from the release version I bought from the App Store, which may be what's required for System Update to work.
torpedo20

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work dude!

I've downgraded my macmini back to SL but will give this another try.
One thing I can confirm is that AirDrop wouldn't work (wi-fi card is too old, g only)
Jiggz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Working fine for me Reply with quote

gdunlapsd wrote:

Hi,

a quick question. You said that you "installed Lion to the Mini's mounted drive from the Release version of the installer I had purchased from the App Store."
So to make things clear, you can choose where to install/upgrade Lion from the installer? That is, it won't automatically overwrite your Snow Leopard installation(disk)?

/Jiggz
Marcsf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Works perfectly - a slight mod that may help in the future Reply with quote

I have waited for a long time to upgrade my Mac Mini early 2006 from it's Core Duo processor until recently due to T7xxx prices and a lot of other things on my plate. When OS X Lion came out and my place cleared up a bit, I bought a T7600 CPU and a Seagate Momentus XT STAN500100 500 GB 7200 rpm 32 MB Cache 4 GB SD hybrid drive. The upgrade went well but was tedious as everyone probably knows - Macs are engineered down to the millimeter in clearances. I followed two sites (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/mac_mini_core_2_duo_swaps.html) and (http://www.o0o.it/mini/) which were very helpful.

After the upgrade, I made the mistake of restoring my Mini from the last backup - BIG MESS. The problem is that the new CPU requires different libraries from the old configuration. It wouldn't boot after the restore. So, I started from Snow Leopard and then played around with trying to get to a OS Lion supported upgrade version. That's when I found out about the strict hardware checking on Lion. Even though I had a 64-bit CPU and plenty of space with 2 Gb RAM, Lion still gave me the dreaded "OS X Lion cannot be installed on this computer" That's when I started digging and tried several things. Finally, I found this site and this thread. This actually worked fine. I followed the steps exactly as outlines EXCEPT I looked at the "PlatformSupport.plist" file to see why it might be excluding my Mac Mini (model name "Macmini1,1"). What I found was an array of support hardware BOARDS - not model names. So, I went searching for the hardware board ID of my "Macmini1,1" (my guess is this is probably available at the single user prompt but I didn't know how to get it). I found a site (http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/forum/t-124597/smios-patching-using-dmi-edit) for hacking installs and fooling them to install on other hardware. There was my Mac Mini board ID ("Mac-F4208EC8"). So, I did the following in terminal:

cp PlatformSupport.plist ~/Downloads
cd ~/Downloads
vi PlatformSupport.plist
- inside vi, (if you know vi then this won't be tough at all) I went to the line just after <array> and hit capital "P" for put a new line above the current line. I then put in a new entry that was
"<string>Mac-F4208EC8</string>"
and hit :w to write out the file and :q to exit vi

Then, back in terminal I did
cp ~/Downloads/PlatformSupport.plist

I then ejected the target drive and rebooted the Mini. It booted up just fine with the new board ID which was the ID of the "Macmini1,1" board that I had.

Software update ran fine and migration assistant ran fine.

I now have a Mac Mini early 2006 with a blazing 64-bit T7600 CPU and 500 Gb SDD drive that rocks on OS X Lion.

Thank you very very much Jiggz!

MarcSF
Gb.macmillen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Oops Reply with quote

I followed everything but didn't double check it, it wouldn't let me change the file name but I tried adding in the mobo and restarted now I can't get the mini going have a nice do not enter sign and I can't find the remote, I believe it's cause I didn't sign in on terminal, can I put the mini in target from the MacBook? I've torn the house apart and don't know if a new remote would work
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gb.macmillen, can you tell us more about your mini?

Otherwise, I don't know what the remote has to do with it, but you should be able to put it into target mode from your MacBook if your MacBook has FireWire.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Gb.macmillen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Mini Reply with quote

It was originally a 1.66 i upgraded to 2.33 I have to use the remote instead of c to choose what to boot from, it seems to be a common problem, my wife found the remote so I have done that I got it on the snow leopard install disk I tried to use terminal from the install disk, to no avail, and it wouldn't let me use the lion thumb drive installer I made and I wasn't dire of network startup, it also wouldn't let me install snow, I wiped the drive I am installing snow and will try lion again, the only thing I have used terminal for in the past was to jailbreak and unlock a 3GS. I do back ups on a weekly basis so I'm not worried about anything.
If I remember correctly cause its been awhile and I can't seem to find it on the net, I have to su /username
then type my password
then make the appropriate changes to the .plist file
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: