123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mini - What Should I Expect?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ynot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: New Mini - What Should I Expect? Reply with quote

I'm about to pick up a new MM and was wondering what I should expect compared to my mid 2007 model 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo w/ 2gb ram. The new one would be a 2.3Ghz i5 w/ 2gb ram (to start).

Right now, surprisingly, my 2007 can handle most videos including 720 and 1080 and is connected to my Philips 47" LCD.

What will I gain or possibly lose except for CD/DVD? Sharper picture? Other?

Thanks

"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"

Steve Jobs

2012 Mac Mini i5 HTPC
Roku 1 XDS, Roku 2 XS, Roku 3
Kemo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faster speeds, smoother video, ThunderBolt (when devices start coming out), and HDMI are your biggest gains. The new Mac mini also has Bluetooth 4.0, which in theory should have better range. That may also come in handy for HTPC at some point. All in all, you just have a better machine now. You're really only losing the built-in CD/DVD capabilities, a problem that can be fixed with an external drive if you absolutely need one.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2007 mini has a really poor video card. the graphics in the base 2011 mini are better.

to be honest for your uses a 2010 2.4 refurb is better for you if you can find one in the apple store for 469 plus tax

The 2011 has a much faster cpu so if you use handbrake it is 3 times faster maybe 4 times faster then your machine.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Ynot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you both. Now I can't wait, but I have to until the 14th of Aug when my funds allow. I am getting a good deal since I have a $100 voucher and a student discount = $479.

I won't miss the Superdrive as I can't recall the last time I used it on the current MM. If and when I did need to transfer I used a flash drive. Definitely will max out the ram asap.

I may consider installing a second drive internally after reading the iFixit teardown article. Any reason not to upgrade the drive to a 7200, 1tb when I'm ready? And replace the original also with a 7200, 1tb? Heat issues?

Thx again.

"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"

Steve Jobs

2012 Mac Mini i5 HTPC
Roku 1 XDS, Roku 2 XS, Roku 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: