123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teardown of New Mac Mini Posted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Teardown of New Mac Mini Posted Reply with quote

Teardown of New Mac Mini Posted
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Posted by: Staff

iFixit just posted up a teardown of the new Mid 2011 Mac mini. The teardown basically goes step-by-step in taking apart the machine, while listing parts. iFixit isn't offering a repair manual at this time, but gave the Mac mini an overall score of 8 out of 10 in repairability. They also state that the Mac mini contains no proprietary screws or glued parts within. iFixit goes on to say that you can eaisily upgrade the RAM and hard drive, as well as add a secondary hard drive. You can also get to the power supply, but it takes removing everything. So if you're looking to upgrade or take apart your Mac mini, go and check it out. iFixit has done an excellent job here.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1673.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:49 am; edited 3 times in total
mdgm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding adding a second hard drive they say: “The only deterrent is the availability of a second SATA hard drive-to-logic board cable.”

I wonder if a company will come up with a solution involving a second cable that could be used to e.g. add an SSD to use as a boot disk?

Though I'd prefer to add an optical drive (as the slot in the front of the Mini's removed this isn't an option), since that's not an option this would be a good use of the space.
2011 Mini Server
NAS - 10 x ReadyNAS units
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking more and more enticing.
Texark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish they had torn down the server as well. Sad

@mdgm OWC has something called the data doubler for the 2009 Mac mini. A product like that might be our only hope. I don't see someone just coming out with the cable. Plus, there might be a special heat sensor involved. This is kind of a downer.
T'hain Esh kelch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is neat. I'm definitely going to add a second drive at some point. I'll just wait for a good guide, since I've no idea where to get the cable, and which one to buy. Wink
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how does the second hard drive in the Mac mini server connect to the motherboard? Does it just ride up over that first cable and connector to the second connector that is empty? Or is is a double and/or single cable that is split with two ends? Inquiring minds want to know. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: