123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Safari 5.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Apple Releases Safari 5.1 Reply with quote

Apple Releases Safari 5.1
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Posted by: Staff

Apple has released Safari 5.1 for Snow Leopard via their Software Update Utility and website for direct download. According to the company, this update contains the following new features:

- Reading List: Easily add webpages and links to your Reading List to browse when you have time.

- New Process Architecture: Safari has been re-engineered for improved stability and responsiveness.

- Resume: In the General pane of Safari preferences, you can now choose to launch Safari with the windows from your last browsing session.

- Better Privacy: A new Privacy pane in Safari preferences makes it easy to remove data that websites can leave on your system.

Other improvements in Safari 5.1 include:

- Private AutoFill: Safari lets you fill out forms quickly while keeping your personal information private.

- Find Option: When you use Find, you can choose whether you want to search for text that contains or starts with the text that you type in the search field.

- Drag-and-drop Downloads: You can drag items out of the Downloads window in Safari, so you can easily place downloaded files on the Desktop.

- Advanced Web Technologies: Safari introduces support for full-screen webpages, media caching with the HTML5 application cache, MathML, Web Open Font Format, CSS3 Auto-hyphenation, CSS3 Vertical Text, CSS3 Text Emphasis, Window.onError, and Formatted XML files.

- New Extension APIs: Developers can take advantage of new Safari Extension support for popovers, menus, new event classes, and interaction with Reader.

Safari 5.1 weighs in at 47.47MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.5 or later.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1665.html
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not showing up in SU for me. Confused
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this update broke something on Safari for me - I can't print USPS shipping labels any longer, I'm told there's a missing plugin (a PDF reader). I reinstalled Adobe reader, as the site requests - no luck.

The same happens in FireFox, so maybe it wasn't the Safari update that broke it, but rather one of the others (I've installed everything but Lion).

I ended up downloading Chrome, and luckily was able to print.

Anyone else experiencing similar PDF/in-browser issues?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. I'm still on Snow Leopard and ok with printing PDF files in Safari.
iLife's a Bitch!
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they changed the Safari:Preferences: default to NOT Open "Safe" files after downloading? Smile
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Seems like there are some Adobe issues... Reply with quote

The issues seem to be OS related rather than Safari related:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20081584-263/mac-os-x-lion-known-issues-adobe-products/?tag=cnetRiver

...strange part is that I haven't installed Lion, but have installed every update to be prepared for Lion.
castaway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safari actually seems much slower for me now. I also have the occasional beachball.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how you fix all issues with Safari. You download this and never look back. Wink

Honestly, I just feel like Chrome is faster, lighter on memory and more responsive. It also seems to have less problems than Safari.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before this update I could get by with javascript off. I loved not having it on. I never really needed it until I updated. Now all the sites require it. I hate the annoying pop ups and adds Java adds. It was a wipper snapper with it turned off. Weird how most the sites worked before without it now they need it.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
Honestly, I just feel like Chrome is faster, lighter on memory and more responsive. It also seems to have less problems than Safari.

Chrome has become my default browser across all platforms. I can't speak highly enough about it. I am interested in the Reading Lists feature of Safari though. I'm just not sure that it's something I would actually use. Anyone here using it? At the least, I know the animation of the links jumping over is cool. Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is this version is utter crap. Its so buggy I got prices in ebay saying undefined. I've clicked on links only to have them disappear. These are things I never seen happen before. Lion isn't any better either very buggy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: