123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amplifiers that sleep or can be controlled by Mac?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tamarok

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Amplifiers that sleep or can be controlled by Mac? Reply with quote

My Mac mini is currently connected to an old Yamaha AV receiver/amplifier and my HDTV. I am now looking to change my amplifier, but one thing that I have in mind is reduced power consumption. With that in mind I am looking to see if there are any amplifiers, or solutions, that would allow me to put the amplifier in stand-by from the computer (USB control or such), or auto-standby if it has not received any signal for n-minutes (much in the same ways as TVs can do these days).

Part of the reason for this is I use my iPhone or another computer for switching through music, so I am not always sitting where the remote is or I'll leave it playing until it has finished and then forget about turning off the amplifier.

Edit: I have just looked around, and see one or two amps, such as the "Onkyo TX-NR509" have "Auto Standby" feature, but it is not clear if they will power up again the minute there is a signal?
geeji

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you use a "master-slave" power bar, such as this one.
When the mini is sleeping, its power draw is much reduced, thus disabling the slave sockets. And that way, you can use any kind of A/V amplifier Smile
tamarok

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly a possibility. The only downside is if I want to use any other device connected to the amp if the computer is off, since it would mean waking the computer.
Fred76

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denon and Pioneer have apps that allow their newest Receivers to be turned off and on, as well as airplay to stream music directly off your iphone/ipad.
Denon AVR-3312 with Airplay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: