123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini-PCIe eSATA Solution!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharpe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: SATA mini Pci-e from Commell Reply with quote

billb wrote:
Sharpe wrote:
I plan on using a single eSATA-connected RAID such as OWC's Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEQX2T8.0S/
I'm curious Sharpe, I don't think running a SATA cable to
that Qx2's enclosure's eSATA connection will work. So, did
you do it and did it work???

Hi BillB

I was hoping that using the adapter plugs I'd mentioned to convert from SATA to eSATA would allow me to use the OWC unit.

I haven't actually spent the money yet - so I'm still running two external eSATA connected drives - so far it's been darned reliable! I felt bad about hacking off the corner of my beloved Mini but I think it was a worthwhile upgrade. File operations are noticeably faster than FW400.

I also still have FireWire connected drives. If I can afford it I'd like to replace my Mini and external HDD collection with a new Mini and eSATA connected OWC/RAID unit. (Or Thunderbolt...)

Regards
Sharpe
Sharpe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ready to add a third SATA drive Reply with quote

pgershon wrote:
My Mini has been set up with three external SATA cords (with the mini PCI express controller installed) and two drives connected through a SATA port (not eSATA). I now want to connect a third hard drive but the enclosure I used before (with a power supply and an internal style SATA port on the outside of the case) is no longer available. Any thoughts on an enclosure to use to connect to my SATA cable?

Hi PGershon

I am using these:
http://www.vesalia.de/e_gcsataesata.htm
to connect internal style SATA cables to external eSATA drive enclosures. It gives me a lot more flexibility when choosing drives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SATA2_und_eSATA-Stecker.jpg
The adapter lets me join these two cables. The one on the left is connected to the internal SATA card on the Mini; the one on the right is plugged into my external enclosure.

It's not awesome - since i have double the number of cables necessary but I couldn't find enclosures with SATA ports!

Good luck!
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: eSATA male to a SATA male cable Reply with quote

How about an eSATA to SATA male
cable
. Doesn't require adapters. I found
some in a nice blue color. No longer have
the link. Sorry!
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC

Last edited by billb on Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330540879452&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1458wt_1165

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
try this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330540879452&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1458wt_1165
Still requires a SATA male to male adapter.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
Sharpe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: eSATA male to a SATA male cable Reply with quote

billb wrote:
How about an eSATA to SATA male
cable
. Doesn't require adapters. I found
some in a nice blue color. No longer have
the link. Sorry!

Ha! That would have been perfect!

In the end I never did buy an external RAID cabinet; I survived on external drives...

Now my beloved 2006 Mini has been semi-retired - it's a generic desktop for websurfing, email and some other random stuff. Apparently it'll never run Mountain Lion.

I splashed out and bought one of the new Minis! And next year I'll add a Synology DS412+ to my system. The eSATA drives also had firewire - so they're currently daisy-chained on the FW800 port (yes, it's a step down).

It's been a great experience - my 2006 Mini was a HTPC. Played all my ripped DVDs, iTunes media, YouTube, NetFlix streaming, Amazon Prime Instant Video etc with only a few hitches (usually due to Silverlight or Flash).
atomico73

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, i am new user of this forum.

I have upgraded my mac mini 2007 with different esata card (no need driver) sell by mfactors.
The card work good but i have problem to insert into mini because the sata connector are really bulky.

Now i see this MPX3132 card but need for driver...or not?

I am interest only for JBOD function, i can use this MPX3132 without installing the driver?

Many thanks to all.

Good bye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: