123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Part Numbers for New Mac Minis?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Part Numbers for New Mac Minis? Reply with quote

Part Numbers for New Mac Minis?
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Posted by: Glenn

9to5Mac has published an article with part numbers and descriptions for those new Mac minis rumored to be hitting the Apple Store any week now. We actually haven't heard much of late about the new Mac minis, but they are said to include Sandy Bridge processors and ThunderBolt ports. Other rumors include a change up in the materials used on the bottom of the case and a price drop on both models. So, we'll keep you posted if we happen to learn anything new. Until then, here are those part numbers and descriptions from the article.

- MC936LL/A J40, ULTIMATE USA Mac mini Server
- MC815LL/A J40I, BETTER USA Mac mini standard configuration
- MC816LL/A J40, BEST USA - Faster Mac mini

It should also be noted that the article from 9to5Mac includes a part number and description for a new MacBook.

- MC914LL/A J59, BEST USA - White MacBook

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1655.html
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A price drop would be sweet! I'm all up for that one.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Aescleal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all this is true, I'll be very excited. I'm a Windows 7 (as HTPC) owner and plan to drop that and move to a Mini w/Lion for a HTPC as soon as the new Mini's are out. I've been busting at the seems for months now, and almost threw down and bought a 2010 model a couple of times. But I'm holding off.

So a price drop would be very welcome indeed, and the new hardware will be very nice to see. Although I understand the 2010's are still not being pushed to the limits as HTPC's.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aescleal wrote:
So a price drop would be very welcome indeed, and the new hardware will be very nice to see. Although I understand the 2010's are still not being pushed to the limits as HTPC's.

A price drop would be most welcome. As long as it doesn't mean they switch back to some crappy form of integrated graphics from Intel.

You really can't go wrong with a 2010 Mac mini for HTPC either. In fact, retailers like Amazon and Mac Mall might discount their remaining stock when the new models come out. So you might be able to get in cheaper that way and still have nice machine. That being said, you also have to factor in the price of Lion.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am anti 2010 and pro 2009 when it comes to minis, but I do not game! the one big edge the 2010 had over the 2009 was gaming.

If the 2011 has the same specs as the 2011 macbook pro for me it would be great. If you game it won't be great. But just buy the 2011 mac mini and a pc for gaming. price wise you would spend less then a 2011 macbook pro.

T-bolt will really be the interesting gear to watch. small 2 ssd raid0 units running at 600Mbs will be easy to build and move from gear to gear. pcie cases and gpus will be easy to replace the idea of 3 or 4 small stacking units connected via t-bolt cables looks like the future. It may be that the hi end mini may be linkable to a second mini to make a very small powerful dual cpu machine. very interesting stuff this year.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really excited about the new Mac minis, but not so much about TB anymore. The technology and speeds are great, but everything else is so expensive. I was kinda hoping for a more practical replacement to FW 800.

Last edited by Weee on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
Well I am anti 2010 and pro 2009 when it comes to minis, but I do not game! the one big edge the 2010 had over the 2009 was gaming.

Having HDMI is a big edge too. Adapters and only being about to run audio out of the port was a big PITA. Mini-DVI was sort of worthless too. I mean apart from gaming, the 2010 model is definitely a hotter HTPC system in my book. I just wish it had Blu-ray. I would give my left n*t for a 2011 Mac mini that supported playback.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
I'm really excited about the new Mac minis, but not so much about anymore. The technology and speeds are great, but everything else is so expensive. I was kinda hoping for a more practical replacement to FW 800.

yeah a 500 dollar raid0 t-bolt will be the low cost type! with 1000 as the middle and 2k as high

Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
yeah a 500 dollar raid0 t-bolt will be the low cost type! with 1000 as the middle and 2k as high

I mean, that's fine for Pros and rich people. I just don't see it taking off for the average Joe like myself.
tom d

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil: I do not see that many people buying Thunderbolt gear unless you have a real use for it, or some type of business that requires that kind of speed. Especially with the economy, people will be looking for price and keeping firewire.

tom d
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom d wrote:
I do not see that many people buying Thunderbolt gear unless you have a real use for it, or some type of business that requires that kind of speed. Especially with the economy, people will be looking for price and keeping firewire.

Well said. I think many of us looked at TB differently when it was first announced. Meaning as s replacement for FW. And now that we see the pricing, we're going to be sticking with our FW 800/400 gear. I just don't see any drives in like that $75-$200 price range coming out soon. I'm sure it will take time to hit critical mass. Maybe in the same way it took FW 800? I kind of remember those devices seeming so expensive when they first came out.

BTW: Any guesses on what speed i5 makes it into the Mac mini?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are problems with this that i see this won't make the system cheaper this will make the system more expensive i am so hoping they don't increase the price tag I'm just happy with my 2011 mac mini it works just fine for my needs and i have seen nothing but trouble with thunderbolt so I'm not really interested worse another rumor going around is the new mac mini contains the iMac rigged hard drive which means you cannot upgrade the machine without going to apple to replace the hard drive because the drive contains custom firmware and built in temp sensors so until i see one no thank you.
castaway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the new Mac minis, MacBook Airs and Lion in big way. It almost seems like Christmas in July.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
there are problems with this that i see this won't make the system cheaper this will make the system more expensive i am so hoping they don't increase the price tag I'm just happy with my 2011 mac mini it works just fine for my needs and i have seen nothing but trouble with thunderbolt so I'm not really interested worse another rumor going around is the new mac mini contains the iMac rigged hard drive which means you cannot upgrade the machine without going to apple to replace the hard drive because the drive contains custom firmware and built in temp sensors so until i see one no thank you.

this will be to force you to buy thunderbolt as your hdd upgrade. it will cost a lot to buy a t-bolt case. looks like my 2009 esata hacked mac mini will stick around a while.

devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should have waited to buy a new Mac mini. Still in the market for a 27" LED ACD though. And just my luck, I read on Engadget that they may be updated soon too with Thunderbolt. Throw that on top of Lion and this could be an exciting week or two. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: