123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I purchased a used iPad 1 today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: I purchased a used iPad 1 today Reply with quote

I purchased a used iPad 1 64GB 3G from work today for $472.50. We buy this model from customers for $450 and resell them for $550. So I got a pretty good deal. It has warranty until Dec 2011, so it's only 7 months old and it's in perfect shape. I can get AppleCare at a discount if I want warranty until Dec 2012.

I plan on keeping it until November 10th 2011 at which point I may sell it back to my company (with 30 days warranty remaining on it). I'll get 4 months use for $22.50. I also got a free $60 case with it Smile.

Being I sell Apple products, I'll end up well ahead on this deal. It's much easier to sell products you own and are familiar with. I've never owned an iPhone or any other iOS device. I'm looking forward to iOS 5.

The GPS works just fine and I haven't signed up with a 3G provider. I did install the 3G card though. I guess it sees the towers and just works even without paying for service.

Anyone else thinking about getting an iPad or iPad 2? I realize they have been out for a while. What about the rumored iPod Touch with 3G? iPhone 5? iPad HD? What do you plan on purchasing this year? The mini is long overdue for an update, likely we will see new minis with Lion.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could consider an iPad, but having to sign up with a carrier is not cool. WiFi is fine with me!

I'm still wanting an iPod Touch though. They did add the camera to it, which was my baseline requirement, but I have other things to spend money on.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
tom d

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft, I read your post and wanted to say I was at the Mall a few weeks ago and I believe TMobile has a 3G card that was not expensive and you can turn it off and on . Example use it for a month turn it off and restart it two months later, I don't remember the price but it was not a lot of money.

tom d
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know here in Canada you can get a data plan for an iPad but you do not have to. The sim card is free when you buy an iPad and you can get 30 days pay as you go service for $15 (no contract). This is 250MB of data. 5 GB of pay as you go service is $35.

An average 3G iPad user, uses 500MB of data per month. If you have a 250MB plan it will warn you when you have 20% remaining. Then again at 10%. When you reach zero the device will no longer work. It will ask you if you want to pay for another 30 days of use from that point onward, or if you want to wait a few days for your 30 day cycle to renew.
The 3G provider does have your credit card info, but you can quit the service at anytime.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Bandit Bill! Not sure if they still have them, but MacMall was selling the 1G iPads with 3G for around the same amount of money. My wife and I were thinking about buying one. To be honest, we sort of like the 1G iPad better than the iPad 2. It feels way more sturdy and there is less play in the screen. It also feels better in your hands. We don't really need the cams either, which to be honest aren't that great anyways. I think if you can find one, they are a great deal.
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
MacMall was selling the 1G iPads with 3G for around the same amount of money. My wife and I were thinking about buying one.

I guess you have to ask yourself if you'd be happy running the 500,000 apps that are available today. If so the iPad 1 is a great buy. The iPhone 4, AppleTV 2, iPod Touch 4th gen all use the A4 processor.

Sure the iPad 2 has the A5 processor, but I'm not certain it is worth paying almost double to get one. By the time there is a good amount of software out for the iPad 2 exclusively the iPad 3 will be available and it will likely have significant updates. I think most people would be better off skipping a generation... just like most people would be fine going from an iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 5 when it comes out.

I want to keep up with the technology, but I'm not willing to pay a premium to have the latest tech when there is no software written to take advantage of it.

This a what makes the Mac minis a good value. Sure there are faster machines out there, but for the most part the mini can handle any of today's software.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I had the iPad 1 and now have the iPad 2. For what I use it for I really didn't need to upgrade it's nice to have but 1 was just fine.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:
Cool. I had the iPad 1 and now have the iPad 2. For what I use it for I really didn't need to upgrade it's nice to have but 1 was just fine.

Funny, I was just asking myself earlier today if an iPad 2 would have made any difference to me. So far, not at all. OS5 and new software may separate the two.

Are there any Apps that currently require an iPad 2 ?
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Ray Finkle wrote:

Funny, I was just asking myself earlier today if an iPad 2 would have made any difference to me. So far, not at all. OS5 and new software may separate the two.

Are there any Apps that currently require an iPad 2 ?

You know I really don't know. Maybe certain games but I don't really play them all that much. I really just use mine for really basic stuff. I like reading things, and listening to streaming music. I also use mine as a secondary tv for my bedroom. I wish the apple remote would work with it that would be real cool.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:

I stuck with the iPad 1 as there wasn't enough in the iPad 2 to justify an upgrade for me. I'm happy with 32GB, no where near close to running out of space, and the new ones where the same anyway. Instant on is quick enough for me so no need to go faster, all the apps work. Screen resolution stayed the same. Only thing which would have been handy was the camera but I'm not sure how much I would use it on an iPad anyway.

I think you have bought very wisely Bandit and given your trade in option I think you have played a master stroke.

Bandit Bill wrote:
I think most people would be better off skipping a generation...

I'm not sure the iPad 3 will tempt me to upgrade. iPad 1 is still a great device.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Ray Finkle wrote:

I stuck with the iPad 1 as there wasn't enough in the iPad 2 to justify an upgrade for me. I'm happy with 32GB, no where near close to running out of space, and the new ones where the same anyway. Instant on is quick enough for me so no need to go faster, all the apps work. Screen resolution stayed the same. Only thing which would have been handy was the camera but I'm not sure how much I would use it on an iPad anyway.

I think you have bought very wisely Bandit and given your trade in option I think you have played a master stroke.

Bandit Bill wrote:
I think most people would be better off skipping a generation...

I'm not sure the iPad 3 will tempt me to upgrade. iPad 1 is still a great device.

I used the camera one day with my nephew we had a blast. That was it didn't use it again. It was fun for a day it's pretty bad too. If they upgraded that and the mic maybe it would be worth it for the home movies. I don't know though you just don't think about things like that when your holding it. I have a 16gb and I am about out of space. If I were to take out all the apps I really don't use I wouldn't be anywhere near putting a dent into it. Most of the space are from games I don't play but payed for.

I really like the iPad 2 smart cover though that's something that is very nice to have.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:
I have a 16gb and I am about out of space. If I were to take out all the apps I really don't use I wouldn't be anywhere near putting a dent into it.

I don't have that many apps yet, but I have over 40GB of music installed. I'm REALLY glad I bought the 64GB model. I have iPod for music only, but it stays in the car. It's nice to have the music on the iPad as well.

So far there hasn't been a single day that I haven't used the iPad. I usually play Plants vs. Zombies every day at lunch (and I'm not at all a gamer) Smile. My GF loves this game as well. We bring the iPad when we go for coffee and usually play a few rounds in the truck Smile I think this is funny. We are in our 40's and we would never think of playing games otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: