123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sharing keyboard and mouse across mac mini and PC laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gibmini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Sharing keyboard and mouse across mac mini and PC laptop Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm using my mini and W7 laptop for work at home. They are both on the same desk and access the web via a wireless network. I'd like to use my mini's apple, wired keyboard (latest gen) and wireless magic mouse with both my mini and W7 laptop.

I've found Synergy but its not user friendly and I can't get it to work.

Has anyone any ideas of how I can solve this problem through hardware or software?

Many thanks!

GM

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
160Gb 1st gen ATV & 2nd gen ATV
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This works surprisingly well, to drive a Windows PC from a mac on the same LAN:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/remote-desktop-client

It's a free download, or included in Office too.

(In fact it works across the WAN/Internet too, if you set up your router with the right open ports, and you know your external IP address - but that's another story.....)
gibmini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the post (much appreciated), but thats not quite what I'm trying to do. I just want to share the keyboard (and potentially mouse) across the mini and the W7 laptop. I've decided actually now to get a hardware KVM - a small belkin device - and it seems to do the job well.

It takes up some space on my desk - which is a shame - but the space free'd up by lifting the laptop onto an angled riser has more than made up for that taken by the KVM.

I just push a button when I want to switch the keyboard between the machines. It works surprisingly well and was well within my limited technical capability to set-up (I just couldn't get Synegy to work...its not user friendly at all in my opinion).

Cheers,

GM

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
160Gb 1st gen ATV & 2nd gen ATV
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: