123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just got my Mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T. KirkŠ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalenb wrote:
cut

That's not to say I don't like my new Mini or I don't think it's better than XP in certain areas, I just don't find the gap that wide in my personal experience.

I can tell you, if you're only with XP-SP1and ZoneAlarm firewall, A free AVAST virusscanner, updated automatically everytime I'm on Windoze, SpyBot running frequently and one visits for instance CD-cover sites, one sees that Firefox prevents installing executables, AVAST gives viruswarnings, SpyBot tells there's a leak, and ZoneAlarm asks you if it is OK to connect this or that progamme to the Net, than I'msoooo happy I use 85% of the times linux and only for a few jobs XP! never use IE or OE, only Opera, Firefox, Thunderbird and still! Evil or Very Mad
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
nalenb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what you are talking about James. I run XP - SP2 (cause that's what was updated) and McAfee Virus, nothing else.

My point in posting was to give my particular opinion. I'm not a typical user of XP so I don't suffer the same problems as most are claimed to suffer.
James T. KirkŠ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalenb wrote:
No idea what you are talking about James. I run XP - SP2 (cause that's what was updated) and McAfee Virus, nothing else.

My point in posting was to give my particular opinion. I'm not a typical user of XP so I don't suffer the same problems as most are claimed to suffer.

Well, than you see, where all the fuzz's about. You're an exception! Wink
John

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running Windows since version 2. Never had a virus. Never picked up adware. I switched to Mac for access to the best semi-pro DV tools. OS X is cute, but without iLife, Final Cut & such apps, I'd still be WinTeling it.

Having switched, I must say there is no going back. iDVD alone would justify the switch. Add Final Cut Express & I have a kick-ass DV editing station. Only way I'd give up my Mini is if someone gave me a PowerMac G5. I looked at the G5s, but by going with the Mini I could afford the additional software (Final Cut, Photoshop, etc.) that makes it a serious DV tool.
James T. KirkŠ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:
I've been running Windows since version 2. Never had a virus. Never picked up adware. I switched to Mac for access to the best semi-pro DV tools. OS X is cute, but without iLife, Final Cut & such apps, I'd still be WinTeling it.

cut

Probably you had a immensely good firewall and a virus-filtering provider, otherwise you've never been online! If no, on all of these statements, than your anti-virusprotection was not up to date, so did no notice the worms and viruses, though you must have seen the startpage changing in our IE and the problems with OE.... I've heard of a few people who indeed never had viruses and spyware in Window$. It always had a reason like above mentioned.
John

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for years without any virus protection software. Before the Internet took off (say before 94/95 -- I’ve been on-line since 1980) there really wasn't any need for a careful person to worry about getting a virus. Even now, in the age of the Internet and broadband, I'm still more worried about hackers than viruses. You can be certain I sit behind a firewall!

My kids -- on the other hand -- routinely bring their PCs home for me to heal. Viruses, spyware, you name it. I keep telling them: "Don't install anything off the Internet without asking me first!" They don't listen. If I were a truly caring father I'd buy them Macs, but they are out of school and working & can buy their own dang computers!

Here's an analogy for you: running Windows is like using a gun without a safety. It's definitely dangerous, but if you are really careful and share it with no one, you just might avoid trouble.
James T. KirkŠ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:
cut Here's an analogy for you: running Windows is like using a gun without a safety. It's definitely dangerous, but if you are really careful and share it with no one, you just might avoid trouble.

Yeah, but you see it in the USA, free availability of weapons cause accidents, i.e. labile people, kids who just start shooting! O.t.o.h. I never isntalled just anything under my XP, but had the weirdest things with a clean install!
nalenb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how many examples there are of Windows users without adware or viri, people still don't believe it's possible. It's a testament to the anti-Microsoft advertising (and I don't just mean Apple).
James T. KirkŠ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalenb wrote:
No matter how many examples there are of Windows users without adware or viri, people still don't believe it's possible. It's a testament to the anti-Microsoft advertising (and I don't just mean Apple).

If have more proof of screwed up W-XP and other Windows OS than not in my neighbourhood! What about the anti-MS advertizing: A lot of people just hate Bill Gates because of the way he got rich and I am not talking about his monopolistic strategies, but moreover his (and/or the company's) deceitful ways of 'creating' (stealing Open Source + adapting, buying other little companies out, buy off complaints) software and incoporating it into its own, patenting its software all over the world what he bought and "borrowed". The web is full of it and a lot of it is true, that's why the company is centenzed many times and a lot of it is bought off. When M$ sees it will loose the server market, it comes with a fake outcome of a research done by a well paid company to keep businesses off Linux! I truely hope Apple never will get this far, though there is enough to say about its arrogancy which I think needs to be reviewed to make it a truely friendly company.
nalenb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reply.
James T. KirkŠ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalenb wrote:
Nice reply.

Not bad for a non-native speaker, you mean? Laughing
nalenb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it just proved my point.
James T. KirkŠ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalenb wrote:
No, it just proved my point.

Well, anyway, in my opinion is M$ evil, just a lot of excellent programmes run only on it, which I think, s*cks... Many of these programmes should be ported to Unix/Mac/Linux...
End of discussion for my sake, let talk Apple again. Cool
nalenb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me cackles
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't we all just get along??? Smile

nalenb: This is a Mac-themed web site. The majority of the people here are going to be strongly biased towards OS X. You're never going to convince anyone that M$ is anything other than a necessary evil.

James T. Kirk: I have my qualms with windows, but there ARE people who (if they are careful) can definitely run their systems malware-free.

No OS is flaw-free. However I believe that OS X certainly has a leg up on windows (at least in regards to security is concerned). UNIX core, root account disabled (at least by default), "privledged" users even have to sudo to do anything particularly destructive...

There is a reason that security professionals are flocking to OS X...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: