123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mac Minis and Mac Pros Coming in August?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: New Mac Minis and Mac Pros Coming in August? Reply with quote

New Mac Minis and Mac Pros Coming in August?
Sunday, June 19, 2011
Posted by: Glenn

Brian Tong of CNET is reporting on Twitter that Apple is set to release new Mac minis and Mac Pros in early August. Both systems are said to include ThunderBolt ports and Sandy Bridge processors. We've also heard some other unconfirmed rumors that Apple is changing up the ports on the Mac mini server and the material used on the bottom of both Mac mini models to give them more grip on the desktop. We'll keep you posted as more information comes in!

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1642.html
NRecob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might just have to pick one of these up since I passed on the anemic 2010 model.... Maybe they'll keep the thickness the same but go back to 6-1/2 x 6-1/2 (now I know I'm dreaming!).
mdgm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rumour would be more believable if there wasn't mention of a Mac Pro update. Considering when Sandy Bridge Xeons suitable for the Mac Pro are due, Q1 2012 calendar year seems more likely.

The Mac Mini being updated late July/early August sounds much more reasonable.

Considering how bad the 2010 redesign was, I hope Apple redesigns it again, but I doubt they will so soon. Apart from a slightly better graphics card, a HDMI port and making it easier to replace RAM, the 2010 Mini was a step backwards. The Mini having user replaceable RAM is nice, but the HDD should be user replaceable as well.
2011 Mini Server
NAS - 10 x ReadyNAS units
NRecob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdgm wrote:

Considering how bad the 2010 redesign was, I hope Apple redesigns it again, but I doubt they will so soon. Apart from a slightly better graphics card, a HDMI port and making it easier to replace RAM, the 2010 Mini was a step backwards.

I would LOVE it if they've done a redesign for the 2011 model but I'm not holding my breath....
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting if true. I'm also really excited about Lion and Lion Server now. July can't come soon enough.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see much happening with the Mac mini on the exterior, but I see a major redesign coming for the Mac Pro. Hopefully with a smaller case and price tag to boot.
iLife's a Bitch!
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I don't see much happening with the Mac mini on the exterior, but I see a major redesign coming for the Mac Pro. Hopefully with a smaller case and price tag to boot.

Now that would be a dream come true. If I could afford it that is. Smile
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking this might be the best Mac mini released to date with the I/O, CPUs and OS. The only thing really missing would be the MBA type SSD for storage.
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why everyone hates the 2010 mini so much. I guess it depends on what you intend to use it for. As an HTPC, I absolutely love it. It's small, silent, sips power, looks at home in a media cabinet (looks more like a home theater component than a computer IMO), and has plenty of power to run EyeTV and Plex. Yeah, I wish I could replace the internal hard drive, but something had to give to get it as sleek as it is. I personally hope they keep the current form factor for a long, long time.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that people hate the 2010 mini, but many (myself included) feel that it was a downgrade from the previous one because of the difficulty with upgrading the HD. For that reason, I opted to buy a 2009 model last year even while the 2010 was available, not to save money, but to have upgradability. The older model also had available external HD's that fit perfectly with it. To my knowledge there still isn't an external unit that can aligns vertically with the new mini.
NRecob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
I'm thinking this might be the best Mac mini released to date with the I/O, CPUs and OS. The only thing really missing would be the MBA type SSD for storage.

Maybe so. I wonder if we're going to be looking at an i3 and an i5 for the next Minis? I wouldn't think they'd do an i5 and an i7....

Thunderbolt sounds good (have yet to see a drive).
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NRecob wrote:
curt wrote:

Maybe so. I wonder if we're going to be looking at an i3 and an i5 for the next Minis? I wouldn't think they'd do an i5 and an i7....

Soon
http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10549
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NRecob wrote:
Maybe so. I wonder if we're going to be looking at an i3 and an i5 for the next Minis? I wouldn't think they'd do an i5 and an i7...

The move to Sandy Bridge would mean an i3, i5 or i7. I believe there might even be a mobile Celeron in there somewhere, but I doubt Apple would do that one. I think it will be like an i5 at 2.3GHz to 2.5GHz. That's my best guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge
NRecob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
NRecob wrote:
Maybe so. I wonder if we're going to be looking at an i3 and an i5 for the next Minis? I wouldn't think they'd do an i5 and an i7...

I believe there might even be a mobile Celeron

I sure hope not.
Quote:
I think it will be like an i5 at 2.3GHz to 2.5GHz.
Well we'll know for sure come August....

(Still waiting for Lion with that Auto Resume [or whatever it's called feature] and the new Mail [really tired of GMail!])

Last edited by NRecob on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
NRecob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
NRecob wrote:

Soon
http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10549

Thanks for the link. Hopefully WD's offerings are right around the corner as well--I can't even imagine 10Gb/S transfers....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: