123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATV 2 can't see my computer/iTunes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sooz2000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: ATV 2 can't see my computer/iTunes Reply with quote

I just got an ATV 2. I am able to connect to the internet but when I try to connect to my computer (a MacMini) it doesn't see it. I have a network set up through my Time Capsule. I also have an iPhone 4 and tried to set up AirPlay but I can't connect that way either. I thought this would be easier since I have nothing but Apple products, but I don't know what I am doing wrong! I've reset, turned off and on, read everything I can about connection issues and nothing is working. Any ideas?? I am at wit's end!
Apple TV 2
iPhone 4
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mini must be on & itunes (new version 10.?) open for the TV to see the computer.

To set up Home Sharing in iTunes:
1 Open iTunes on your computer.
2 Choose Advanced > Turn On Home Sharing.
3 Type your Apple ID and password, and then click Create Home Share.
4 Repeat steps 1 through 3 on each computer you want to use for Home Sharing.

For more information about iTunes, open iTunes and choose Help > iTunes Help.
To set up Home Sharing on Apple TV:
1 On Apple TV, choose Settings > Computers.
2 Choose Turn On Home Sharing, and then enter the same Apple ID and password you entered on your computer
sooz2000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response.

My mini is on (all the time) as is iTunes. I do have the most current version of iTunes (10.3.1). I just checked updater and there are no updates for iTunes.

I am able to turn on Home Sharing. I've turned it off and on several times to see what the issue is. When I turn it on, I get the message:

Home Sharing is now on.

Use the same account "suzannechilson@mac.com" when turning on Home Sharing for your other computers. They will then appear below Shared in the iTunes window.

And then when I click "done" home sharing is no longer visible.

On my ATV, I have set up the Apple ID and password several times as well. When I go to the "Computers" header, there is nothing to select. The following message is at the top of the screen:

To access iTunes, make sure that you have home sharing turned on....

I'm still turning stuff on and off to see what is going on...
Apple TV 2
iPhone 4
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bought your AppleTV within the last 90 days you can call Apple for free technical support.

If you bought AppleCare, you have free support for 2 years. If not AppleCare is $29. You can still call Apple for support, but it's $59 after 90 days with no AppleCare. You may as well buy AppleCare over the phone first Smile .
sooz2000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i purchased last weekend so i'll try to call and get some assistance. i've never used apple support over the phone...i've always gone to the genius bar. and there are too many components to bring in to trouble shoot. i'll try calling apple care and see what happens. thanks for the suggestion!
Apple TV 2
iPhone 4
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooz2000 wrote:
i purchased last weekend so i'll try to call and get some assistance. i've never used apple support over the phone...i've always gone to the genius bar. and there are too many components to bring in to trouble shoot. i'll try calling apple care and see what happens. thanks for the suggestion!

It would be great if you could give us feedback on the phone call. Most people are used to having crappy phone service from companies... typically because they use 3rd party call centers. You will be speaking with an Apple employee. It should be a good experience.

Good luck.
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your iTunes account is "suzannechilson@mac.com" how many characters are in your password?

As bill said Apple phone support is great, if there is a major problem they will call your local Apple store & have whatever you need waiting for you.

I think they will have you up & running in no time over the phone.

Good Luck!
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you have to connect your iPhone to your WiFi network? Have you done that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: