123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3D - love it - hate it - don't care

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: 3D - love it - hate it - don't care Reply with quote

I had a customer come into our Apple reseller store because he wanted to check out Macs for the first time.

The conversation quickly centered around 3D and Blu-ray. I had no idea what he was talking about in the scope of Macs. I've never had anyone ask about 3D video cards and we all know Apple hates Blu-ray.

He seemed to think I was off the wall. That 3D and Blu-ray are where it is at and the way of the future... he concluded that Macs were archaic and left the store.

So my question is, on the PC side of things is Blu-ray, 3D gaming and 3D movie viewing/output to 3D televisions gaining popularity?

I've never had a customer mention 3D or wish they had it. Very few people mention Blu-ray either. Mind you I typically deal with our business clients M-F 9-5, I had to trade shifts and work a Sunday this week. Am I out of the loop? Have I been living under a rock?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't care for the 3D effect. It's impressive when it works but I would rather the film makers focus on the movie and not a gimmick.

Just about every time I'm at Costco I try the 3D displays. I've tried the 3D gaming displays at Frys and have usually found them to be broken. If I have to keep investing in the glasses which are specific to each system, why should I bother? I have better things to spend my money on.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big fan. The TV's just give me a headache and look strange. It's kinda cool at the movie theater and IMAX though. Where it's more of an event. Not something you would watch all the time.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like it better if it could be done without the glasses. I've never been big on glasses and never will be.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
khisayruou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not a big fan of 3D but then again Im getting old. A lot of kids love this stuff and I think it will eventually become something of a standard for that generation. Kinda like how I can't live without an iphone while my parents still use a rotary!

As far as blu-ray, well...I think its drop dead gorgeous. Its far better than dvd when combined with a HDTV, I will take anything high res in any format, just as long as its high res. Most of my friends that are non-mac users who are interested in switching always ask about blu-ray and why its not supported, I simply shrug.

In some ways macs are archaic, they push one technology (ie firewire, thunderbolt) while leaving others as an after-thought (graphic cards, sound cards). I remember them taking years just to put in a freakin simple optical out when 5.1 and digital had been standard for many years.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of 3D either. I am a big fan of Blu-ray like khisayruou though. I think it's by far the best format out there. I know downloads from the likes of Apple don't even come close. It's also nice to have a hard backup in your video library.

On the subject 3D. I saw a list of every 3D movie ever made on Gizmodo tonight. It's sort of neat.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2011/06/3d-movie-timeline.jpg
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Curt, that's a neat info graphic. It really does show how 3D has been trended time and time again, but the current growth is pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

I personally haven't seen a 3D movie yet. I never go to theaters. I should probably check it out some time.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to sit down in front of a 3D HDTV and watch an entire movie, but it's really cool at the movie theater. I've seen like 4 or 5 movies now in 3D and they were super cool. That being said, I don't think it's right for every movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: