123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates iMac
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
They are not the very best cards on the market. In fact, they aren't even the desktop version of the 6000 series. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I would just rather have a true desktop card (not the mobile version) in the iMac pushing these higher resolution screens. The rest of this update was impressive.

They bench out pretty good though. Tom's Hardware says they come right in behind the GeForce GTX 480M series on the mobile side. We're talking 77.4fps at 1920x1080 with the highest setting on Modern Warfare 2. Just saw it mentioned on Gizmodo.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6970m-mobility-radeon-eurocom-panther,2847-14.html
castaway

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:
Yeah nice upgrade. I would consider it even more if it had a matte screen.

I feel the same way. There is a petition if you are interested.

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/

I saw it mentioned here.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/367165/lack-of-matte-screens-driving-imac-fans-to-windows-pcs
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
Ray Finkle wrote:
Yeah nice upgrade. I would consider it even more if it had a matte screen.

I feel the same way. There is a petition if you are interested.

http://macmatte.wordpress.com/

I saw it mentioned here.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/367165/lack-of-matte-screens-driving-imac-fans-to-windows-pcs

Cool Exclamation
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about some anti-glare screen covers one time (you know like the protectors they sell for phones and the iPad) for the iMac. They were supposed to cut down on the glare and not effect the overall screen quality that much. I could be wrong, but I think these were the ones.

http://www.photodon.com/c/AppleiMac.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Apple should offer a matte option as well.

I like the Apple iMacs but they can be annoying. I work with one 8 hours per day. I have a huge bank of windows behind me and at times the reflections drive me nuts. I can't control the environment, I just have to deal with it.

On the other hand, my girlfriend has a 24" iMac at home. We can control the environment at home and I love it.

It really depends on the environment, but being this isn't always controllable, Apple should give us an option.
drh

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Fully understand what you are getting. Reply with quote

Before rushing out to buy one of the new iMacs, be sure you fully understand what Apple has done to them to (apparently) further limit user upgrade. While there may be workarounds in the future ... it appears that currently, you may not be able to user upgrade/replace the hard drive that comes installed in the iMac.

See the following reports:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/12/apple-restricts-hard-drive-replacements-on-new-imacs-2/

http://blog.macsales.com/10146-apple-further-restricts-upgrade-options-on-new-imacs

Talk about this is rather limited on the Apple support forums, as it seems to be related to Apple policy and therefore off limits as far as discussing/complaining (though there are a few posts about it).

Dennis
G4 Mac Mini, 1.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM;
G3 iBook, 900 MHz, 640 MB RAM;
G3 iMac, 266 MHz, 384 MB RAM;
PPC 8500, G3 500 MHz (Sonnet), 832 MB RAM
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fully understand what you are getting. Reply with quote

drh wrote:
While there may be workarounds in the future ... it appears that currently, you may not be able to user upgrade/replace the hard drive that comes installed in the iMac.

Yeah, that just sucks. I have always though Apple should have a bottom slot or side compartment on the aluminium iMacs that would allow for upgrading the hard drive. Like with an aluminium door and one retaining screw or something. I mean, not being able to upgrade the hard drive on a $2000 computer is just a scary proposition. It's almost a deal-breaker.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty ridiculous and unnecessary.

The majority of people who will be affected by this are those that have a drive failure and their iMac is no longer covered by warranty. Being forced to purchase an Apple replacement part at a premium sucks. Especially given Apple doesn't make hard drives.

I don't know who thought this was a bright idea, but it's a big turn off for many buyers.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+3. There might end up being some after-market parts or solutions, but that's REALLY, REALLY, REALLY lame of Apple. I mean...proprietary cables and firmware on the HDD? WTF?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fully understand what you are getting. Reply with quote

drh wrote:
It's almost a deal-breaker.

Hard Drives will fail. I lost two drives in my Drobo recently along with all the data stored on the Drobo, over 3 TB's Sad
Thankfully most of it was backed up but I did loose some stuff which wasn't. I also had no storage for over a month as I tried in vain to recover the data.

I don't like where Apple is going with this and for me it is a deal breaker. Crying or Very sad

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a deal breaker.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from Other World Computing

"The bottom line is that work around options are in play now, and with further testing, we should be able to be confident in one solution of another. Whatever the solution – the best solution, in my opinion, would be not needing to find a solution in the first place. Certainly it’s a very small percentage that are even going to want, or need, to replace drives in their iMac… Apple made that hard enough as it is… But for those few, it didn’t need to be this hard."

full article
http://blog.macsales.com/10206-further-explained-apples-imac-2011-model-hard-drive-restrictions

BTW this certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. The new iMacs are awesome. As indicated in the article, down the road all drives may work just fine with the new iMacs.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years, Steve and Team, have made it challenging to modify computers, ipods and iphone. It is frustrating, but part of their business plan to keep consumers constantly purchasing the newest products; the cost is waste and certainly can't be considered green for the environment or to our pocket books.

The cost to get exactly what you want in a new computer may be either too expensive, in some cases still not possible or if you have deep pockets for the apple upgrades...achievable. Kind of a bummer to have to pay the excessive up-charges.
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
full article
http://blog.macsales.com/10206-further-explained-apples-imac-2011-model-hard-drive-restrictions

I saw that follow-up article in my Twitter feed last night. It's a good one.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who actually services an iMac on their own anyways? It's almost impossible for the average user. So I really don't see this as being an deal breaker for fans of the iMac. I know I won't be buying one though. I gringe when I hear the words Apple and proprietary in the same sentence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: