123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple website slow on non-Apple hardware/software?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdpatt

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Apple website slow on non-Apple hardware/software? Reply with quote

Does anyone else have this problem?

Whenever I go to Apple's website, it takes forever to load a page...like 3-5 minutes sometimes using Windows. I've noticed this on my work PCs (XPsp2, AMD 2 core processors, 2G RAM, T5 connection) and my home PCs (Vista Premium 32 and/or 64 bit, Core2Quad, 8G RAM, high speed cable internet), even on my laptops (Vista and 7, 32 and/or 64 bit, Core2Duo, 4G RAM, various wireless connections). I have no problems with any other sites, other than the occasional site with heavy traffic (try getting on Woot during a Woot-off, for example).

However, on my Mini, it's blindingly fast. I know some of the rabid OSX champions will claim its because Windows is junk and Apple is so much better, but I really don't think that's what it is, and the Mini, being the bottom of Apple's line, isn't really their best product, hardware-wise (not knocking it, just saying it's not an 8 Core pro model). I almost suspect Apple of setting up their website to run slow on Windows to make their product look better, but I'm not that paranoid, haha.

Has anyone else had this problem? It's happening to me on different equipment, in different locations, with really no common denominator. Apple's website is very well done, but it's not a huge technological marvel that would tax a computer more than, say, HD videos on Youtube or an online videogame.
MacScout67

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No slowdowns on the main site, but I crash on some of the Apple Store pages while using IE 8 and Firefox with Vista 64-bit. I don't have any trouble with Chrome, which is based on Webkit though. I'm not a webmaster, but I would assume most of the pages on Apple's website are tested and optimized for Safari and Webkit-based browsers. So, I'm going to say the Chrome and Safari for Windows are going to give you the best experience. I would also make sure that you're using the latest version of QuickTime for Windows. A good many of the pages on their website have embedded QuickTime content.
jdpatt

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Apple store is torture, maybe it is a QT issue. I don't think it's installed on the work computers, and I've never installed or updated it on mine.
mrfootin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Reply with quote

Yes I have the same problem on over 10 computers I have got on Apple sites on. EVERY computer the same thing.....Apple sites are slow like 56k dialup! PAINFULL and almost able to use. No idea why but I believe everyone that says they are not slow are running apple computers and just think that is normal for a website. ALL other sites run normal except for Apple sites. I love my iPhone to death and wouldn't trade it for the world and I have nothing against Apple computers at all but their site sure is slooooooooooooooooow!
mrfootin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Another point! Reply with quote

I found this forum because I was searching to see if anyone else has the same problem with the apple site!
Saskia

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Lost my respect Reply with quote

Well this is too stupid to be true, I was also searching google why Apple's website was soooo slow. After registering I could login (after 10 minutes or so) but then clicking on a link made the website freeze and nothing happened. While registering as an Apple developer, I also thought their layout was seriously HORRIBLE. I couldn't imagine they would have such a bad layout for real. Then I read this forum, so I closed my Internet Explorer 9 and opened Google Chrome. Like I miracle, everything worked FAST plus their design was all over the sudden perfect!

This is a scam! I always respected Apple a lot (I am a UNIX fan, so I appreciate all non-windows platforms that perform fast), but after today, my respect for them dropped to as low as possible.

This is soooo childish, to create horrible register form designs specially for Internet Explorer, even a cheap https certificate (gray colored) and then when you switch to Chrome the certificate is green and a perfect layout and super fast. How freaking childish. I completely lost my respect.

Further more, I just found out they are forcing me to buy an Apple. So they are the same as Microsoft, the exact same horror. They don't allow developement for iPhone on a Windows platform. How crazy. Why don't they change their Safari browser in such a way that it can only browse websites where the html is made on an Apple.

These Apple guys are a bunch of children if you ask me. The world for people like you and me would be so much better if not all these parties try to force you into things and just work together. Also if they all did everything according RFC's instead of making developer's lives a horror.

I tried to download Airplay SDK as it appeared to be the sollution, but I guess they became part of it cause they freeze to and I cannot download.

What a bunch of children. You know what? Bye bye iPhone users, then DON'T have nice apps. I'll stick to Android and all others. Bye iPhone.
Saskia

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Still irritated Reply with quote

And by the way, do they really think they are helping iPhone users with this. If they want their own secured little Apple world, thats fine, I'm in my secure little NetBSD world, but seriously, do they really think iPhone users have an iPhone for the same reason why designers have a Mac? Of course not! They just liked the phone, has nothing to do with performance. So now these poor iPhone users will have less crazy apps, cause their "master" only whats people from their private little club to make these apps. I hope you guyes will be out of the market because of this. If you build a wall like that, you will be off the market real soon.

And next time, be a bit more smart when you develope a website specially for Internet Explorer users, cause if you use a different certificate PLUS different images and layout, its SO obvious that you're doing it on perpose. Go back to you're mommie. From now on I am VERY against Apple. Apple sucks. Nobody should use it. I hate this "forcing" horror. Let me be free please.
Brodon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I found this forum because I was searching to see if anyone else has the same problem with the apple site!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: