123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEST OFF THE SHELF FIREWIRE DRIVE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIKEGEE

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: BEST OFF THE SHELF FIREWIRE DRIVE Reply with quote

I am ready to purchase a FW HDD that I can run virtual windows off of. Dependability is the key, as there are many times I will be doing a lot of switching between OS and MACOSx. What off the shlf firewire do you recommend? I don't want to build one, just purchase it.
thanks
Mike
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/range.htm?id=10033

LaCie

BTW just for fun, check out their Thunderbolt SSD drives as well.
T'hain Esh kelch

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacie Quadra design.. Smile
castaway

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The G-Drive from G-Tech is a really nice drive.

http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive.cfm

If you're on a little more of a budget, the MyBook for Mac and GoFlex for Mac drives aren't all that bad.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/external/desktopformac/

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/mac-hard-drive/mac-desktop-hard-drive
PhillT

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of flexibility, I got the VoyagerQ dock from OWC.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple of external drives a 500GB Freecom, and also a 500GB Western Digital. The freecom worked well, but I had trouble with the Western Digital. When the WD failed I bought a VoyagerQ it's been great. Now I just buy cheap bare drives to throw in it. I really only use it for backups so most of the time it's turned off.

I also have a Drobo as I didn't want loads of external drives all over the place and looked at the Drobo as a good solution with it being expandable. I could add drives as I needed them.

The Drobo has worked well but I'm really not sure I'd ever buy another. I'm convinced that something Drobo are doing wrecks the drives you put in it. I bought a 5 bay drive last July and have already had 3 drives fail. One was very early on before I had loaded loads of data on it, so I replaced the drive without any issues. A couple of months ago two more drives failed, Actually one failed and whilst Drobo relayed the data, which took forever, another drive failed causing me to loose all of the data, over 3TB worth Sad I now have 3 disks which the Drobo will no longer except but which all appear to be work fine in the VoyagerQ. They have all been reformatted and checked but still refuse to work when plugged back in the Drobo. Not that I would ever trust putting them back in, but I did plug them in to test them.

After the failure I completely wiped all the remaining drives in the Voyager Q before putting them back in the Drobo, I also adding a brand new 2TB drive and then started to put data back on the Drobo. At this point I sent a diagnostic report off to Drobo to check everything was ok. They tell me I have bad sectors on two of the remaining drives in the stack.

So with the 3 faulty ones that makes 5 disks all less than 8 months old, some around 4 months old as I filled the Drobo up as I went along and all of them have developed problems whilst being used in the Drobo. Coincidence ?

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
gigaguy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to recommend G Technology drives. I had 4 or 5 and half have failed abruptly. They are high quality, I guess I don't trust any ext drive to last more than 3-4 years, I was not a heavy user, mostly for storage and occasional access.
I guess I don't trust any ext drive, and backing up is the only option for when, not if, they fail.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
I used to recommend G Technology drives. I had 4 or 5 and half have failed abruptly. They are high quality, I guess I don't trust any ext drive to last more than 3-4 years, I was not a heavy user, mostly for storage and occasional access.
I guess I don't trust any ext drive, and backing up is the only option for when, not if, they fail.

The mean life expectancy for hard drives is 5 years. I personally don't trust any single back-up solution. If it's important I always have multiple back-ups.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had media backed up 2-3 times, just need to start buying good external drives but really watch price. I see no advantage now of buying pricier G Techs. their designs are good, and they use quality materials, but those things donlt seem to make the drives last any longer than mainstream brands.
I'm not at the 'build your own drives' stage yet, but it makes more sense now.
asmack

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love those Voyager Qs, they're awesome.

I was going to buy a Drobo last year but I just read too many horror stories about them: expensive, slow, proprietary and flakey. It's just something I personally would not trust to store all my data on one.

Cypher wrote:
I had a couple of external drives a 500GB Freecom, and also a 500GB Western Digital. The freecom worked well, but I had trouble with the Western Digital. When the WD failed I bought a VoyagerQ it's been great. Now I just buy cheap bare drives to throw in it. I really only use it for backups so most of the time it's turned off.

I also have a Drobo as I didn't want loads of external drives all over the place and looked at the Drobo as a good solution with it being expandable. I could add drives as I needed them.

The Drobo has worked well but I'm really not sure I'd ever buy another. I'm convinced that something Drobo are doing wrecks the drives you put in it. I bought a 5 bay drive last July and have already had 3 drives fail. One was very early on before I had loaded loads of data on it, so I replaced the drive without any issues. A couple of months ago two more drives failed, Actually one failed and whilst Drobo relayed the data, which took forever, another drive failed causing me to loose all of the data, over 3TB worth Sad I now have 3 disks which the Drobo will no longer except but which all appear to be work fine in the VoyagerQ. They have all been reformatted and checked but still refuse to work when plugged back in the Drobo. Not that I would ever trust putting them back in, but I did plug them in to test them.

After the failure I completely wiped all the remaining drives in the Voyager Q before putting them back in the Drobo, I also adding a brand new 2TB drive and then started to put data back on the Drobo. At this point I sent a diagnostic report off to Drobo to check everything was ok. They tell me I have bad sectors on two of the remaining drives in the stack.

So with the 3 faulty ones that makes 5 disks all less than 8 months old, some around 4 months old as I filled the Drobo up as I went along and all of them have developed problems whilst being used in the Drobo. Coincidence ?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asmack wrote:
I was going to buy a Drobo last year but I just read too many horror stories about them: expensive, slow, proprietary and flakey. It's just something I personally would not trust to store all my data on one.

I actually love the Drobo, the concept is excellent and when it works it's an amazing device. I had 8 months of trouble free computing really and it's by far the easiest multi drive system I've ever used, fair easier to work with than my Netgear Ready NAS which can be an absolute pain in the **** sometimes, that is pretty slow and file permission can really bite you if your not carefully.

With the drobo though it's a case of all your eggs in one basket and when it messes up it does it big style. I will now only use it as a scratch drive, ease of use make it the ideal first device I look for things on, but I will ALWAYS have a backup copy of everything thats on the drobo from now on. I have chronosync backing up my system and it makes backups to the VoyagerQ and then to the Drobo. App downloads, TV downloads and ripped media such as DVD's and Music will all end up on the Drobo jusy for ease of use but the master copy will always be on the NAS, the drobo is the backup. I also have chronosync backing these up via the VoyagerQ to additional bare drives.

Drobo is a really good device, I just don't trust it for the important stuff now.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: