123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mac Mini overscan 1080p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigfried

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: New Mac Mini overscan 1080p Reply with quote

Hello,
I am just about ready to fire up my brand new 2010 Mac Mini and have one concern. If i plug my 1080p screen in via HDMI and do in fact start out with overscan, how do i correct this if you can't see the icons?

I do understand that there is a setting with the slider in the new Mini that adjusts this, but if you can't see the icons to click on System Preferences (think that is where it is found), how on earth can I get to it?

Just a little nervous about this before first boot up and running into this issue as i will be unable to get on the web for info after i tear down my current computer for the new Mac Mini set up.

Thank you very much in advance for any help!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it was the same thing as overscan but on mine with a Sharp Aquos TV I could correct it on the TV.

One of the settings on the TV was to enable Dot by Dot mode which gave me a full picture and I could see the icons without any problems.

{edit}
Just checked on mine. The option to change it was via a button on the remote, it wasn't in the menu's. The overlay that came up was headed Wide Mode and I had a choice of Full or Dot by Dot. Full was the default, I changed it to Dot by Dot.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
sigfried

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cypher,

I just picked up a Panasonic TC-L32U3 and i did look through the manual but didn't see any info on Dot by Dot in there.

I had read about Dot by Dot and Full Pixel but i don't know if i am going to be able to do that on this tv. Had done pretty extensive google searches trying to find this info out on this Panasonic but to no avail.

I'm also hooking the Panasonic up for the first time as well along with the Mac Mini. I just didn't want to run into the issue in what i originally posted and then be stuck wondering what to do. Hopefully i have underscan but it looks like many people have this overscan issue on first boot. Many are able to remedy this because they are using a laptop with another screen but with the Mac Mini, what's a poor boy to do if he doesn't have Dot by Dot?

Thanks again Cypher for trying to give a possible solution to this!
sigfried

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, reading the Panasonic Manual further, i did find a vertical adjustment that this tv can perform in Zoom mode. Hopefully this will allow me the real estate to get to the System Preferences and Display area of the Mac Mini. (??)

Like i had previously mentioned, i just want to know what i am doing before i fire everything up and before i fihd myself in a pickle with this. Still not very confident in doing so after reading about this possible issue from many HDTV users. Thanks!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW you can get to system preferences via spotlight

With the mini fired up and on the desktop press the keyboard shortcut for Spotlight (CMD SPACE) type in system pref and it should show up in the drop down list where you can select it.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try all inputs HDMI! HDMI2 etc. Also DVI & VGA. If you can see your HD icon click on it, open applications and select system preferences then displays
sigfried

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the help!

Good news though. Got everything hooked up and i just had a slight overscan and was able to easily go to system preferences and adjust the screen size. That took all of a minute and it was a welcome relief as i was very concerned about this so thanks for the replies.
I do have another issue though that i will start a new thread about regarding 24hz or 60hz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: