123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is The 3G IPad Useful To You?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Is The 3G IPad Useful To You? Reply with quote

Some people just got the WiFi model and others have the 3G model. I'm wondering how often the 3G really gets used. Is it worth the extra expense?

Do you ever take your 3G shopping and search for deals at the stores? Do you ever need to look up directions while out with your iPad? Do you ever look up QR codes on the internet while shopping or doing business?

How often do you even need the 3G? Is WiFi available in enough places so you don't need to connect via 3G?

Do you not take your iPad out because you already have a smart phone that connects to the internet?

I don't own a smart phone and if I really needed to connect to the internet I'd be using an iPad 3G if it were beneficial for business.

An iPad would be very useful for me to give presentations to small businesses around town (I bicycle everywhere since I don't own a car). Right now I can take my five and a half pound Mac Book and show them the same presentations. It only works with WiFi and I've never used it. The Mac Book stays home all the time unless I need to show someone something.

Right now I live in a small town with few WiFi locations. I intend to move to a major city in September where more businesses per square mile will offer WiFi. That is why I'm wondering if I should forgo 3G and just get a WiFi model.

What size is really needed for your iPad? Is 16 GB plenty of storage? I don't keep many music files. I do have several three to ten minute video presentations on my computers. I don't keep track of their size but I do recall that a ninety minute video on DVD is about one gigabyte in size.

I do keep about twenty gigabytes of photos on my computer. I don't intend to put them on the iPad. I just accumulate funny pictures and vacation photos. Over the last ten years they've built up in size. My 2008 Mac Book came with a 160 GB hard drive. I still have 88 GB free space on it.

Getting a 16 GB WiFi model iPad would be a workable unit. I just don't want to buy something too small. Having 3G might be beneficial but I wonder how often it would really be used. That is why I asked how often current iPad 3G owners are using theirs.

I'll be selling the Mac Book in order to purchase the iPad. I'll move all of my files over to my Ubuntu/Vista HP desktop computer and just use the iPad for fun and work away from home. If I were keeping the Mac Book then I'd definitely just go with the $499 or $629 3G model with the least storage.

Let me know. I'm eager to learn so I can decide which model to get.

Smallwheels

www.MySpace.com/Beninate
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com

Last edited by Smallwheels on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 3G iPad 1 mainly because I spend 10 hours a day at work with no wifi access and stuck on windows. I do have Internet access on my desktop but it's all policed and I would never dream of using it for private stuff, although I do occasionally check out bbc news during the day via the desktop just because it's easier with a larger screen.

I don't use my iPad a lot whilst at work but having 3G means I can still use certain apps I need Internet access for, OmniFocus, Mail, Dropbox, Simplenote, Evernote.

Omnifocus is my brain, it's stores all my tasks and reminders so I do log in and out of this continually during the day. Having the 3G means it's constantly syncing so my home machines are always up to date as well and I don't have to keep remembering to sync before editing the version at home which can result in sync errors and loosing a load of data

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the wait times for iPads it seems I've got plenty of time to make a decision. The local retailers Vanns, Wal-Mart, and now Radio Shack won't have any for a while.

Maybe I should just get a WiFi model and later purchase one of those 3G hubs that allows up to five devices to connect simultaneously. If I did that then my only short term decision would need to be about memory capacity.

Smallwheels

www.MySpace.com/Beninate
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went 32GB when I bought mine at last years iPad 1 launch. I think that turned out to be a good option. I don't copy all my music. podcasts over, I just select what I want but I have a fair about of stuff on it and I seem to have settled at around the 6GB free mark

ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the wife bought me an Acer Aspire One netbook that came with AT&T 3G/wifi setup, I did use the 3G at times when i couldn't get access to the net. We bought it at Radio Shack in Feb. '09 and had one year free 3G, after that I couldn't see paying $60 per month for it along with the home internet DSL.

Since July '09 and getting laid off from my job, I had to drop internet access at home for awhile but now using Clear 3G/4G hotspot wireless router, that can let up to 8 devices connect wirelessly. I've been using it for a couple of months and like it alot. It runs on batteries and thru USB port for power.

If you need internet access for work/business purposes, it may be worth it to you to go ahead and get 3G access.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many options available it's tough to decide.

You need to ask yourself how you will be using the product and how important it is for you to save the $130 by not getting the 3G option. If you ever go to sell it used, it's a no brainer. The 3G model will be easier to sell and you will get a better price for it. That being said $130 is still $130.

If you have an iPhone you can use it as a hotspot to access the net with your iPad. So this is something to consider as well.

a) do you need internet while on the road
b) when you need it is wifi available
c) do you own an iPhone
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just examined one of my folders with videos. There are twenty-three short videos I created using my Flip video camera. The total size of the folder is 1.77 GB. There is another folder with 121 items, most of which are videos. The rest are .jpg thumbnail images representing what is on each video. That folder is less than 7 GB.

I won't need to carry around that many videos. Usually when I'm using presentation videos I only need a couple of them at a time. With this new information it would seem that the smaller version would be OK as long as I regularly emptied the unused videos out of it and put them in the desktop computer or external hard drive.

Cypher you've got over 3 GB of apps taking up memory. How many do you have? Do apps take up plenty of space?

I know I want Keynote, iMovie, Pages, Garage Band, Dropbox, Netflix, and a filing system app. I don't play games at all. I might put ten music albums on an iPad at the most. Would that take up much space on an iPad?
=======================================

Locally there aren't many WiFi hotspots. When I move to Los Angeles in September there will be more but I don't know how many more there will be.

I don't want to own a cell phone.

"On the road" isn't really what I do. I just visit local business in my city and will continue to do the same thing in LA. I don't ever travel out of town. The only benefit to having internet everywhere for me would be in demonstrating how web sites look and how modifying current web sites can get businesses more customers walking through their doors.

I can use videos for that but doing it in real time with examples might be more impressive (only if the signal is good enough to make it work).

Having a 16 GB iPad would definitely be enough for my business purposes. What I know will happen is I'll also use it for personal things. The question becomes, how much personal stuff will I want on it?
Steve Adams

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, I dont need a 3g ipad 2. I have an iphone 4 thats a hotspot so that works great for me!...
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
Cypher you've got over 3 GB of apps taking up memory. How many do you have? Do apps take up plenty of space?

I have 120 iPad / iPhone apps on the iPad, I could probably delete at least half of them now as I rarely use some of them.
30 of the 120 are games, I guess some of these will take up a lot more space than a basic app.

I don't have any of the ones you listed other than dropbox

416 Music Files (25 full Albums + a lot of individual tracks)
394 Podcasts (mix of audio & video podcasts)
80 e-books / pdf files / magazines
19 audio books tracks (5 audio books)

T'hain Esh kelch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the 3G in my iPad yet, but I also only bought it for vacations and stuff like that, where light internet would be nice. Also, for use as a GPS when driving on said vacation.. Smile
cliffud

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is The 3G IPad Useful To You? Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
Some people just got the WiFi model and others have the 3G model. I'm wondering how often the 3G really gets used. Is it worth the extra expense?

Depends on what you use it for. You mentioned later in this thread that you would use the iPad to show off web sites to local businesses to garner more business. For that reason alone, I believe it's worth it.

I have the iPad1 with 3G (16gb) and I use my iPad the same way. I show potential customers where they rank in search engine results and show how I can rank them better. The iPad does it perfectly.

Smallwheels wrote:

Do you ever take your 3G shopping and search for deals at the stores?

Always. I normally do it more discreetly from my iPhone (on t-mobile).

Smallwheels wrote:

Do you ever need to look up directions while out with your iPad?

Always. I traveled around NYC a little last year for fun. Having the iPad with 3G everywhere allowed me to map out directions everywhere, watch NetFlix on the train, etc...

Smallwheels wrote:

Do you ever look up QR codes on the internet while shopping or doing business?

Nope.

Smallwheels wrote:

How often do you even need the 3G? Is WiFi available in enough places so you don't need to connect via 3G?

I use it all the time as I've jailbroken mine and I use a MyWi app to broadcast the internet signal to my other devices. WiFi is available in A LOT of places but seriously, when you're out and about, do you REALLY want to plan your schedule and where you hang out based on if you'll have WiFi access if you need the web?

Smallwheels wrote:

Do you not take your iPad out because you already have a smart phone that connects to the internet?

I have an iPhone4 on t-mobile. It's slow as heck so if I happen to have the iPad, I use it for AT&T's 3G speed. Additionally, when I travel overseas to Hong Kong, I use a local 3G sim service for the iPad and again, I can broadcast the signal to my other devices for internet EVERYWHERE in Hong Kong.

Smallwheels wrote:

I don't own a smart phone and if I really needed to connect to the internet I'd be using an iPad 3G if it were beneficial for business.

Get the iPad 3G, spending a little more money to make a lot more money is a no brainer.

Smallwheels wrote:

An iPad would be very useful for me to give presentations to small businesses around town (I bicycle everywhere since I don't own a car). Right now I can take my five and a half pound Mac Book and show them the same presentations. It only works with WiFi and I've never used it. The Mac Book stays home all the time unless I need to show someone something.

As you've found out, the MacBook is too heavy. I travel a lot in Asia and domestically. I have the MacBook Pro 13" and thought it was light enough to travel everywhere. I was wrong. After I got the iPad, I used that mainly with the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard. They pair up wonderfully and allow me to work anywhere as long as it's the kind of work that's possible on the iPad (remember, it's NOT a full blown laptop so serious graphic editing is not really possible).

I've recently added a MacBook Air 11" to the tech arsenal and so far I have been using it MUCH more than the MacBook Pro 13" (2.4ghz 4gb unibody model purchased in July 2010) even though it has less processing power.

Smallwheels wrote:

Right now I live in a small town with few WiFi locations. I intend to move to a major city in September where more businesses per square mile will offer WiFi. That is why I'm wondering if I should forgo 3G and just get a WiFi model.

Again, if the tools are available to make your life easier, it's better to get the tool vs modifying your lifestyle around the availability of WiFi. If you are worried about the cost, go with the iPad1 3g vs the iPad2 3g.

Smallwheels wrote:

What size is really needed for your iPad? Is 16 GB plenty of storage? I don't keep many music files. I do have several three to ten minute video presentations on my computers. I don't keep track of their size but I do recall that a ninety minute video on DVD is about one gigabyte in size.

16gb is plenty. Jailbreak the iPad and add VLC. VLC can play up to 1gig files of almost any file type. I've loaded mine up with some videos from youtube and some product presentation videos. Works wonderfully.

Smallwheels wrote:

I do keep about twenty gigabytes of photos on my computer. I don't intend to put them on the iPad. I just accumulate funny pictures and vacation photos. Over the last ten years they've built up in size. My 2008 Mac Book came with a 160 GB hard drive. I still have 88 GB free space on it.

Getting a 16 GB WiFi model iPad would be a workable unit. I just don't want to buy something too small. Having 3G might be beneficial but I wonder how often it would really be used. That is why I asked how often current iPad 3G owners are using theirs.

Keep focused on what you're buying the iPad for and the 16gb will work just fine.

Smallwheels wrote:

I'll be selling the Mac Book in order to purchase the iPad. I'll move all of my files over to my Ubuntu/Vista HP desktop computer and just use the iPad for fun and work away from home. If I were keeping the Mac Book then I'd definitely just go with the $499 or $629 3G model with the least storage.

Get the iPad1 if price is an issue. You can get the 3G models used on craigslist for as little as $400 because they're on clearance for $530 on store.apple.com

Don't' sacrifice the MacBook because you'll end up putting all your images and music on the iPad. While that would be fine for the normal user. This is a business tool, right? Keep it business so you can browse through images without worrying about showing personal photos and information.

Smallwheels wrote:

Let me know. I'm eager to learn so I can decide which model to get.

Smallwheels

Good luck man.
belder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the apps on my iPod Touch and quickly realized that 32GB was what I needed. Programs, apps, information is going to continue to take more space than less. I agree that the 3G helps on resale. I got 3G because the internet is "iffy" in my one horse southern town. I've yet to activate my 3G but I know one day I'll need it and be glad I have it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: