123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

email management between 2 computers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: email management between 2 computers Reply with quote

Hi, Here comes a silly email question: say you have a mini (desktop) and a mbp or ipad. Now how do you manage the email storage? e.g., in the morning you use mini's Mail to download incoming mails, read them and may send out or reply some mails; in the afternoon you want to use mbp to download ... at the end, how do you store mails in your mini and mbp? Some in mini and some in mbp? If all mails are not stored in both computers, how do you check (review) your old mails later? How do you remember the mail you want to review is in mini or mbp? I know there are bunch of people here own and use multiple apple computers/devices (I may become one soon) and just wonder how you guys do this without trouble or inconvenience? Thanks for sharing and also standing my ignorance.
hwojtek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: email management between 2 computers Reply with quote

Switch from POP3 to IMAP. Most mail providers should support IMAP, which synchronizes any number of clients with what is stored on the server, so essentially you have everything the same on each of the computers.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your stuck with POP3 then set your mail clients to leave mail on server for 14 days or what ever interval you need to ensure all your systems have time to grab the mail before it's deleted from the server

IMAP is the way to go if you can.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
fiat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: email management between 2 computers Reply with quote

hwojtek wrote:
Switch from POP3 to IMAP. Most mail providers should support IMAP, which synchronizes any number of clients with what is stored on the server, so essentially you have everything the same on each of the computers.

Thanks, hwo.

How do you switch from POP to IMAP? Do you need to request Mail provider? or just change settings on your machine? Is it possible I may be stuck with POP as Cypher mentioned? By switching to IMAP, do you mean that it'll result in all clients shall receive the same all mails from the server? If so, will it be the same result as Cypher recommend that "just hold all mails in server for 2, 3 weeks to make sure every client receive all mails"?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMAP is the preferred option, if you check with your Mail Provider for their mail settings you should find they have an IMAP server which you can configure your mail client to use instead of POP3.

You should be able to find the info on the mail providers website.

Who is you mail with ?

Assuming your using apple MAIL app.
In Mail - Preferences - Accounts
click the + button to add a new account to the accounts list
follow the screens adding your details.

Once the IMAP account is set up and working you can remove the POP3 one by selecting it in the accounts list in Mail - Preferences - Accounts and clicking the minus (-) button

fiat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Cypher.

Now assuming IMAP is set and all clients in different machine receive all same mails from server, if I use one of the clients to reply mail or send out a mail, will all other clients also receive the mail I send or reply? The client I use to reply or send shall keep the mail in "sent" box, but will this mail also show up in the "sent" box of all other clients?

Another question is about "delete mails": again all clients receive same mails from server, but if I delete some mails in one client, will all other clients automatically do the same? or I have to do it in all clients?

Any way, I reckon there may be other ways to set up multi-mail clients to suit individual needs. Any recommendation?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat wrote:
if I use one of the clients to reply mail or send out a mail, will all other clients also receive the mail I send or reply? The client I use to reply or send shall keep the mail in "sent" box, but will this mail also show up in the "sent" box of all other clients?

Yes all the clients will be kept in sync. Even the sent folders will be the same so you can see from any machine that you have replied to a mail etc.

fiat wrote:
Another question is about "delete mails": again all clients receive same mails from server, but if I delete some mails in one client, will all other clients automatically do the same? or I have to do it in all clients?

They will delete on all clients.

fiat wrote:

Any way, I reckon there may be other ways to set up multi-mail clients to suit individual needs. Any recommendation?

I did it the POP3 way for years, using the keep mail on server option and delete read mail after x days. But with this method you have no sync'd sent box and mail doesn't show you've replied in one client when you replied in another etc. I sort of got around this by sending a BCC to myself of all sent mail, so my inbox effectively became and Inbox+SentBox

IMAP removes all the hassle of remembering to do the work arounds. It also has the added benefit of the messages being retained on the server as well as locally. This means you always have a cloud based backup of your mail. I'm sure there will be some physical limit to the amount of mail you can store on the server but it hasn't been an issue to me yet.

I'm also fan of "Inbox Zero" so I always strive to keep my inbox empty. I deal with mail as it arrives and decide straight away what to do with it. If it generates an action I can do immediately, I do it and delete the mail or archive it. If it's something I can't do immediately I forward it to OmniFocus as a task and then again I either delete it or Archive it. If it's purely a reference email with no action, I read it and then delete it or Archive it. So the mail I store is only the important stuff, I make sure the rest is deleted asap.

For the Archive section I have create an additional folder on the IMAP server and this is where all my mail is stored, this is synced between all my computers thanks to IMAP. This folder shows up on all my Macs so I can always get to the archived mail.

fiat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher, many thanks.

From your clear answers/confirmation on my questions, I guess IMAP shall be the way to go for multi-mail clients management. I hope my mail provider (ATT) offers IMAP setting to its customers. Anyone can confirm this?

As for the "Inbox Zero" concept, I think I actually already deployed it basically in my single client: I have set several folders on my mac for storing all sorts of mails I receive/reply/send ... by switching once they get into "Inbox" and I don't have to check anything in inbox unless there is some mail that is not switched by rules. I read/reply/delete/archive all mails in their respective folders .... so "inbox zero"! I hope when I have more clients, I can just duplicate my current client setting to all other clients and sync all to my current "inbox zero" (of course with IMAP).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: