123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mac mini as a portable computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcoolnet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: mac mini as a portable computer Reply with quote

mac mini + rollup keyboard + mouse + 7" widescreen lcd + 12V gell cell + aluminum briefcase = portable computer.
Has anyone connected one of these small lcds through an rca connector yet, because you can get small in car lcds for around $120 allmost anywhere (like walmart). And if so, how is the resolution?
idave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that the DVI to RCA adapter works pretty good. I'd guess the picture would look good as long as the resolution is over 1024x768. If portability is an issue why didn’t you get a laptop "iBook" or is this for an auto install?
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
wcoolnet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't plan on doing this right away (if at all) and the ibook was too expensive. Other than that , with this kind of setup you can relocate the screen and have a good mouse. I just connected my linux box to my camcorder witch has a 2.5" screen and used a scrolling desktop (it displays 1204x768, but that is way to small to do anything) here is a picture:

idave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool...Wow now that's small! Shocked
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
bouldergeek

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: mac mini as a portable computer Reply with quote

wcoolnet wrote:
mac mini + rollup keyboard + mouse + 7" widescreen lcd + 12V gell cell + aluminum briefcase = portable computer.
Has anyone connected one of these small lcds through an rca connector yet, because you can get small in car lcds for around $120 allmost anywhere (like walmart). And if so, how is the resolution?

They have these things called "laptops" these days. It's a computer and display in a package way smaller than a briefcase. Plus, they have battery power built in! You can even get them running OS X, directly from Apple!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are called Power and I books! Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've been thinking about this, too...!

Have you seen the 7" monitor...? Does it look okay? Is it big enough to work on at all? (My thought was one of those Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen things...but I can't find one locally to look at before ordering.)
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen in the carputer scene, 7" would probably be too small to do work on above SVGA resolution (800x600). If you left it at SVGA, it'd probably be perfect, though hard to work on.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: hmm.. Reply with quote

I think the idea of using it as a portable computer is a good idea. Sure, a laptop would have been an obvious choice, but answer me this...who here can crack open a laptop and change RAM, the hard drive, or any other core component on a laptop, can u even open one up yourself? He could use it as something like a portable media station, like bring it to relatives homes with all his home videos on it (using a bigger Hard Drive). something of that sorts, i don't know, but it sounds like a fun project.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm.. Reply with quote

WC3_Gamer wrote:
Who here can crack open a laptop and change RAM, the hard drive, or any other core component on a laptop, can u even open one up yourself?

Um, me. Look online and you can find it, it's not too hard. Either that or just start unscrewing the panels on the bottom of the laptop, they pretty much hide most of the changeable things like the harddrive or RAM, sometimes the video card too.

If he wanted to use a bigger hard drive without cracking open the case just use an iPod or an external one.

Also, what kind of portable are you looking for? I mean, what do you want to be able to do with it? Fitting a battery in the Mini's case has been done before, I can find the link if you want, and it lasts like 1-1.5 hours. A monitor, or better yet those cool Sony LCD glasses, and a wireless KBM would do perfectly. Question is, when would you ever use this where you'd have time and space to carry all of this stuff around?

Don't get me wrong, building this so it looks cool would be nice, but I think its coolness factor would hinder its practicality.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: