123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you buy an Apple branded HDTV?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you buy an Apple branded HDTV?
Yes
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
No
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Maybe
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 24

devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Would you buy an Apple branded HDTV? Reply with quote

It looks like there are some stronger rumors out there about Apple coming out with their own HDTV set. So.... would you ever buy one?

I would consider one if the price was right, so my answer is maybe. I just think price would be the biggest factor. Well, that and the need for another TV. It would also have to take everything the Apple TV does to the next step and include built-in Airplay. A subscription service via iTunes would also be a huge plus.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I selected no.

I'm sure an Apple television would look nice and be great quality, but you don't sit 2' away from a TV like you do a monitor. There are plenty of companies that already make great TV's that would likely be much less money.

I'd pay a premium for an Apple monitor, but not a TV.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't pay a premium for an Apple monitor since you can usually find the same panel for less from another company.

I would be leary of what Apple would want to do with an HDTV. I would imagine it would have to have a built in AppleTV.

I can't really imagine what else it would have that would compel me to buy one, versus a Toshiba, or a Sanyo, or a Vizio, or even a Sony.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered no. Simply because I don't fancy paying double the going rate for a TV Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I would be very surprised to see Apple beat LG, Sony or Samsung on price. These companies are also doing a nice job with Internet connectivity. I recently got a replacement TV from Sony that has Amazon, Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, Crackle, Pandora and more built right into the TV's software. You can also stream using DLNA, which is more universal than something like Airplay at the moment.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. It would all depend on the price, feature set and quality of the panel/screen. I know that I wouldn't want a huge hunk of glass sitting on front like the iMac or Cinema displays. Dark scenes would be a reflective nightmare at like 46-55 inches.
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
You can also stream using DLNA

First time I heard of DLNA. I've been living under an Apple for the past 7 years.

There are a number of people who want to access the internet through their television. They are often interested in Apple TV until they find out that they can not surf the web on the TV with it and a Mac mini is an expensive jump.

I really don't think Apple needs to make a TV, they would be better off adding Safari to Apple TV. Apple TV already has support for iPhones, iPod Touch and iPad devices, so they are many ways to control the Apple TV. Incorporating support for the Apple Bluetooth keyboard, Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse would be great.

I'd like to see Apple get licensing agreements to incorporate Apple TV into televisions. However being control freaks, Apple will likely never go down this road.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
First time I heard of DLNA. I've been living under an Apple for the past 7 years.

Your PS3 is a DLNA client. Haven't you been streaming to it with one of the servers for Mac?

Bandit Bill wrote:
I really don't think Apple needs to make a TV, they would be better off adding Safari to Apple TV.

Then add full Flash support to that iOS-based browser. Idea

Last edited by devo on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="devo"]
Bandit Bill wrote:
First time I heard of DLNA. I've been living under an Apple for the past 7 years.[/ quote]
Your PS3 is a DLNA client. Haven't you been streaming to it with one of the servers for Mac?

I have a long ethernet cable connecting my PS3 to my router. I use Media Link software to allow the PS3 to communicate with my mini.

Sometimes I stream content, but usually I just copy a movie over to the Playstations' hard drive (with Media Link) then play the movie.
gaby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe? i still need to think about it...
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very doubtful based on other Apple pricing, and the fact I'm happy with my current TV and Media Center Mini.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: