123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issues using a flash drive with both a Mac and Win

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Issues using a flash drive with both a Mac and Win Reply with quote

I have a Lexar 4GB flash drive I use for home and school. Default format is FAT-32.

I use my Mac Mini at home but also have to use the Windows machines at school.

On occasion I will plug my flash drive into one of the Windows machines and see a bunch of strange shortcut files appear

Ex. ".trashes"

Sometimes this happens, but not often.

Well, I got myself into a jam because I trashed some of those shortcut files

(can't remember if I trashed them on the school machine or at home)

and when I tried to use the flash drive at school on the Windows machine 99% of my folders and files could not be accessed. They were in there but Windows couldn't read them.

What's going on? Is there anyway to prevent a further loss of access to my data from using a flash drive on two different operating systems.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shouldn't cause you a problem. I frequently do the same.

I always used to use FAT32 formatted memory sticks on my mac's and then used to use them on windows machines at work / uni.

The additional Mac files that are hidden when using OSX show in in windows and bug the hell out of me which is why I would frequently do as you have and delete them and I've never had a problem.

since Dropbox though I rarely use memory sticks any more.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
That shouldn't cause you a problem. I frequently do the same.

I always used to use FAT32 formatted memory sticks on my mac's and then used to use them on windows machines at work / uni.

The additional Mac files that are hidden when using OSX show in in windows and bug the hell out of me which is why I would frequently do as you have and delete them and I've never had a problem.

since Dropbox though I rarely use memory sticks any more.

I have dropbox on my mac at home but the school's computers don't have them, and don't allow the installation of software.

One of the folders that was created...or became visible was a folder that said "recovery".

I wonder if that did it.

I've got Dropbox on my Mini but the schools doen't have them. I suppose I could upload stuff to dropbox and then access it at school via the Dropbox website, save it, and then put it back in my folder. Ugh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: