123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silicone Keyboards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Silicone Keyboards Reply with quote

Anyone have and use one of these flexible silicone keyboards?

I spend a lot of time cleaning dog hair out of my current previous model Apple wireless keyboard.

Tell me the pros and cons

Thanks.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean a cover skin for an apple keyboard?

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe one like this
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the "previous" Apple keyboard (as shown above) those keyboards are impossible to keep clean. I feel for you. I hated mine. I cleaned it constantly. Even with a skin I bet it would still get nasty, just not as bad.

The new Apple keyboards are simple to keep clean. I'd personally look at getting a new Apple keyboard before getting a skin for the plastic model. The new keyboards are much nicer in my opinion and to clean them all you need to do is give them a wipe every month or so.

With the old model I went through plenty of cans of compressed air and they never even totally came clean, you could always see a few crumbs in the bottom. I didn't even eat around my computer and it always looked like I just finished a piece of toast over top of it.

Doug, which keyboard are you referring to, is it the one shown above? I'm trying to remember if those one were ever wireless.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that old school keyboard usb cord to jack type and use a silicone skin. it does help that keyboard is 5 years old and still works well.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
I have that old school keyboard usb cord to jack type and use a silicone skin. it does help that keyboard is 5 years old and still works well.

I'm curious Phil you say "helps", which I'm sure it does, but does is still manage to get crud in the bottom?

I really liked the look of that keyboard when it came out, but the main reason I got the new Apple keyboard is I got frustrated looking at the crud in the bottom of the old one.
Doug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit,

My old Apple wireless is just like the pic but wireless and a bear to keep clean with a big black hairy dog.

I actually went down to the Apple store this afternoon and ended up getting the Apple USB keyboard, I need the key pad, and so far I'm really liking it.

That plastic the old one was made of was just a hair magnet and even the canned compressed air had a hard time blowing the hair off. The hair just seems to float off this new aluminum keyboard.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug wrote:
I actually went down to the Apple store this afternoon and ended up getting the Apple USB keyboard, I need the key pad, and so far I'm really liking it.

I'd be interested in hearing how it's working out for you in about a weeks time. Hopefully the hairs don't end up getting trapped under the keys as they are pretty tight.

Sad that they don't have a numeric keypad on the wireless model. At least you won't need to put batteries in it every 3 months.

Enjoy.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the wired aluminium keyboard since it launched almost 4 years now and it's been fine. I guess the keys aren't as white as they once were but considering the amount of times I've cleaned it, which isn't many, it's held up pretty well.

I do remember when I first got it that the space bar took a lot of getting use to. I would regularly miss type because the left hand side of the space never seemed to work properly it would occasionally miss the space even though I had pressed the key. Over time I must have retaught my brain to type on the part where it does work as I haven't even thought about it in years.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about the all silicone type, they are great in wet environments, seen them work submerged. In a normal environment they are difficult to operate effectively and are odd to use.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
philiparcario wrote:

I'm curious Phil you say "helps", which I'm sure it does, but does is still manage to get crud in the bottom?

I really liked the look of that keyboard when it came out, but the main reason I got the new Apple keyboard is I got frustrated looking at the crud in the bottom of the old one.

almost never gets any dirt I can count on one hand how many times I cleaned the actual keyboard. 3 and less then 5 minutes each time.

It does cause two other problems.

1) The skin pockets are deeper so you need to clean the skin a lot more then on the new flat keyboard. Not a big deal

2) the skin pockets are deeper so if you don't clean the skin for a long time and type a lot you really set the skin pockets onto the keys. Thus you can get sticky keys that will continue to type after you released the key. when this happens it is time to clean the skin.

I like the keyboard as it is easy on the wrists of my wife. She has to watch for carpel tunnel as she types a lot on her work laptop.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: